all chickens killed by unknown predator.

we are back now, the electric fencing came, I attached the energizer to the inside of the coop, I decided to use the entire cage as a ground. I attached the ground wire to one of the poles, and I wired the electric wire out of the coop, I tried touching just the electric wire, and it barely hurt at all, my brother decided to test it, I warned him it wasn't safe in bare feet, but he touched the electric wire, and he said it hardly hurt at all, he decide to touch the cage, it didn't do anything, then he stepped on the electric wire, at the same time, and started screaming really loudly. he tried to step back but his foot got stuck in the electric wire for a while, I helped him get it off, but he went off crying. we are very concerned that it could kill someone, or something, we are not sure if we should still use it. the ground was dry. I would like to use it because I'm sure it would keep the predators away, but not if it is going to kill someone, Is it safe to use?

You have not stated your location. It sounds like your charger is not properly grounded. Use at least a 6 foot 5/8 inch piece of re-bar driven all the way in and attach the ground wire coming from the charger to the tip of this re-rod of re-bar. If you are in an arid location or have very sandy soil you may need a longer ground rod. Attach the ground wire using an electrical clamp like the light company uses to ground the electric service going into your house at your electric meter. There can be no shock or bite to an electric fence unless the circuit is completed from the positive or hot wire to ground.

On the lighter side, did the fence discourage your brother from breaking into your chickens' run? It will do just as good a job of educating chicken eating vermin to the fact that your chickens, or at least the fence around their run can bite back.

As painful as it is, an electric fence is the safest form of protection that your chickens can enjoy, up to and including your rooster getting his very own concealed hand gun permit.

we got back and you won't believe what happened, the first night, a small raccoon came around 11:00pm and stayed continuously until 1:30am then a rat came and tried to get in around, 2:00am and after that, a mama dear and its fawn came sniffing around, (do deer eat cat food?) then the raccoon came back around 3:00am and stayed till about 5:00am, he is a hungry bugger, hopefully he will come in the cage this time, the next night, the raccoon came back and stayed for several hours. I really hope this means they will be hungry tonight, I hope tonight is the night, and that my next post will be about me catching it finally.

we live in layton Utah, and the ground wire is attached to the cage that goes partially underground, so connecting it to the ground via touching will give a mild shock, but should something attempt to touch both at the same time, they will have an experience, they won't soon forget.

Here is what happens when a Doberman gets a snoot full of electric fence. Notice that when the puppy dog got into the fence that he was standing next to the cows' water trough and there was a minor mud hole there where the grass is still green,, so you know that Rover was well grounded. Suffice it to say that this dog lost all interest in using the cow as his personal chew toy. Nothing is kinder to the dog because you don't have to run him down to correct him umpteen zillion times and the dog never associates you with his "correction" its always there just waiting for him to come back and get another snoot full any time that he feels froggy. In this case I don't look for the dog to ever need a refresher course in electric fence 101. I think that he has learned his lesson.

0.jpg

YAY!!! WE GOT HIM WE GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
this morning we went out and there was a raccoon in the better trap and the other one was set off. when we looked at the videos we were shocked. last night, around 12:30am a raccon, came up and went into the dumb trap. and it shut on him. then, along came a buddy raccoon, and started trying to help him out. then another raccoon showed up. they would pull up the door to the trap while the other pushed from inside. (apparently he got out from that, because he wasn't there this morning) then another raccoon, (maybe the same one) went into the other trap and got stuck. the other two tried to help him but couldn't.

Wow I've never heard of one coon helping another out of a cage. I'm glad you got one. Keep trapping though since you said there was multiple coons on your camera/video. My husband ties a chicken bone to the inside of our live trap when he sets the trap but sometimes we catch skunks and ferrel cats. All of which can get your chickens.

Our chicken run has reclaimed steel roof cut to about 30 inches all along the bottom and buried about 6 inches and old chain link fence the rest of the way up. Its not pretty but its secure as I live in a heavily wooded area full of nocturnal predators.

We had a friend come over and take care of him. he also brought some other foothold traps. my dad says we still have to get rid of the other ones.

Wild predators never completely go away its in their nature to seek out easy prey such as chickens while they sleep. If you get most of them though it slows down the reproduction and likely hood of a reoccurring attack.
Best of luck to you with getting new chickens and getting rid of the problem.

I am back again, while I was gone they caught 2 coons in the foot traps, I am really hoping my dad will let us get the chicks now.

Back
Top Bottom