All my chickens have stopped laying

I'm sorry I missed the question about switching to laying pellets... I switched after they slowed down so that would be about three weeks ago. I was getting excited because I started getting more and more eggs. The grandbabies love collecting the eggs because the easter eggers were starting to lay blue eggs. LOL Then I got half as many then 2 then nothing and it has been nothing for 2 weeks now. The weird thing is I read on here it is better to feed them freely so I started filling all the feeders up full everyday and that's when they stopped. That is 100 pounds of feed every time I fill them up. I did notice today after switching to the Layena they did not seem as restless as they did on the other food and they did not empty their feeders their was food left over tonight when I got home.

My chickens have also slowed way down. I got five eggs today with 60+ chickens. I think it's the time of year - molting, especially. On a high note, my almost 10-year-old Jersey Giant just started laying again!

I feed my girls Flock Raiser. It has higher protein than layer.

I have mostly Brahmas, and they are all molting and/or broody right now.
Where are you located? I am in Mooresville NC. By the way awesome puppies I had my Great dane till he was ten. So is the Flock Raiser better than the Layena?

I have had tremendous success with fermenting feed, and wonder if you have considered giving it a try? It breaks down the food to allow for easier digestion and therefore better absorption of available nutrients. It's a really simple process that might help some, and also brings down the cost of feed after a while, since the chickens need to eat less to get the same nutrition (I can't even imagine the cost of feeding 200 birds!!).
The other thing I was just reading about in another thread is how availability of one nutrient can affect absorption of another (I'm a horticulturist, and the same is true for plants, so it made a lot of sense to me). So Vitamin C is really important for protein absorption, which could be added to their diet through veggies and fruits. Just a thought.
What is fermenting the feed?

We're in central Florida. I find we get more eggs on the Flock Raiser, plus it doesn't have the extra calcium that the roosters don't need. I free-feed, so there's always food out for them, plus I put oyster shells out in a separate feeder for whoever wants any. I also scramble any extra eggs and feed them back occasionally.

Thanks, you're one of the few who don't ask about our "Dalmations"! Of course, now they are both about 125 pounds, so we don't get that as much any more. They are good girls, but are chicken killers. We have had to fence part of the yard off for them so they can't get at the chickens. I think all they see is a yard full of squeaky toys!

Anyway, back to chickens. It's also possible that they are laying in the yard when you let them free range.

Update: It was season change I guess. I tried an experiment and added lights. Left them on for twenty four hours next day eggs. Not a lot of lights just some LED's and presto eggs. Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Update: It was season change I guess. I tried an experiment and added lights. Left them on for twenty four hours next day eggs. Not a lot of lights just some LED's and presto eggs. Thanks for all the help
Lighting usually doesn't create the change needed to hormones that fast, takes at least a couple weeks
....and 24/7 lights is not a great idea.....
Something else likely the cause and effect.

Back
Top Bottom