All of a sudden- Aggressive Rooster

BeyondBlessed

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
We have a flick of 10 pullets and 1 roo. They are all about 20 weeks old. Our Rooster has always been super sweet and eats right out of our hands.

We are watching my sisters yellow lab and my 8 year old and husband went to introduce them through the run gate- and with the dog on a leash. We were hoping this would take the "rushing towards the chickens" when finding them herself. Well, Rooster puffed up his wings and the dog got scared and backed off. Then, all the ladies felt safe enough to come over to the gate too. Right then, the dog pounced forward and barked, scaring all of them.

So, we pulled the dog away and that was it.

Well, I usually feed the chickens in the morning, but my 8 year old was up early enough so I asked him if he wanted to feed them. He went to feed them, and Rooster attacked the back of his legs- leaving 3 scratches. He was crying when he got home. He said Rooster was crowing the whole time, as if he was screaming at him. We have NEVER seen any ounce of aggression from him. Ever.

He put some jeans on.. and I went back out with him to see if he tried it in front of me. He didn't try anything.

So, I hid around the corner and my son went in alone- and he went to do it again but I yelled and he stopped.

We spend a lot of time with them, and visit them often. This happened out of no where, after the dog incident. I don't want my kids to not be able to go in there alone to grab eggs and such. Have you had anything work to break this for kids only? Since he isn't doing it with my husband or I?

I hear that this could be just teenage hormones... but I would love to break these habits very quickly.

Attachments

• 20220803_163925.jpg
    20220803_163925.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 28
I don't want my kids to not be able to go in there alone to grab eggs and such.

If you want your children to be able to safely tend to the chickens by themselves, then honestly, best not to have a cockerel/rooster at all. Yes, there are some good ones that are perfectly safe with kids, but many of them are unpredictable and can seriously injure a child. IMO it's not worth the risk.

If you want your children to be able to safely tend to the chickens by themselves, then honestly, best not to have a cockerel/rooster at all. Yes, there are some good ones that are perfectly safe with kids, but many of them are unpredictable and can seriously injure a child. IMO it's not worth the risk.
After seeing the drastic change- and unpredictable behavior- this has definitely gone through my mind. At this point- I won't trust my kids going on alone at all. We will work with his behavior and see if he changes- but my kids will only be allowed out there with us.

He went from one of my favorite chickens- to the bottom reeallll fast. 😅 I will have no problem getting rid of him for safety of my kiddos. ❤️

'Friendly' baby cockerels are actually 'bold' and 'disrespectful'. Feeding him by hand taught him you weren't a threat and he lost respect of you, now (he believes) you're his equals and he thinks he should be able put you in your place. Kids are fast moving and more his size so he focuses on them.
You can try to train it out of him, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully he's not too set into it.

He went from one of my favorite chickens- to the bottom reeallll fast. 😅 I will have no problem getting rid of him for safety of my kiddos.
Just do it! :thumbsup

If you want a rooster in the future.. picking one that is proven or having the cockerel brought up with the current hens keeping him in check will likely be easier than reforming him.

Kids change things.. for me.. risk is fine if it's only adults involved.

He went to feed them, and Rooster attacked the back of his legs- leaving 3 scratches. He was crying when he got home. He said Rooster was crowing the whole time, as if he was screaming at him
I experienced this myself.. from my first cockerel and very favorite lap chick.. for over a year before I dispatched and ate him. People often mistake confidence in animals for friendliness. To me, this cockerel got the new name "Stew Pidasso".. Don't let him still your joy!

Every cockerel gets teenage hormones.. but not every cockerel will attack (being in confined space like the coop does seem to increase the incidence for me as compared to on range). You working with him will unlikely change his behavior towards the kids.. as he doesn't have issues with you, yet. So when would you be able to trust him around your kids?

Best wishes for an excellent outcome! :fl

Thank you all so much! We went and did some dominance therapy with him this morning.. and don't plan on letting the kids near them anymore. Right now- I am 50/50 on keeping or getting rid of him.. because he isn't mean to the adults. If he turns mean to us too... he is gone. No question about it. I appreciate your help so much! ❤️

After seeing the drastic change- and unpredictable behavior- this has definitely gone through my mind. At this point- I won't trust my kids going on alone at all. We will work with his behavior and see if he changes- but my kids will only be allowed out there with us.

He went from one of my favorite chickens- to the bottom reeallll fast. 😅 I will have no problem getting rid of him for safety of my kiddos. ❤️
Unfortunately that's how it often happens. Unlike most other animals that show more obvious signs of displeasure such as growling or pinning their ears back, cockerels can be very difficult to read. They do give signals, but often they are too subtle or confusing for children to pick up on. Best of luck with him, he is a pretty boy.

What if she removed his spurs using the twist off method?

Back
Top Bottom