All of my hens were killed!!

mkbydesigns

Hatching
Aug 3, 2015
It breaks my heart, sometime Friday night or early pre dawn Saturday morning something got into our coop and killed all 5 of our hens,

I put in so much hard work and making sure the coop was secure, warm and comfy for them. It turns out a pretty small vent cover was off the back of the coop and that's how the predator got thru. We are thinking it was a weasel, only determined by how the hens looked when found.

Thank God for my husband!!!! He was the one that found them and cleaned up the mess.

We are going to re look at the coop and add even more security and try again next spring.

Thanks for listening....

Please do fortify your coop and run before you add new birds. The weasel or other predators will be sure to come back for more. Check out the predator section for specific information. If you have any poultry wire, please do replace with 1/2" hardware cloth securely affixed to frame. Critters can dig, tear thru, climb or jump down from trees. A run cover is also a great barrier and can block some rain, snow and raptors. I am sorry for your losses. The colder weather brings all the preds out in a fury of activity. Migrating raptors also camp out to get well fed and continue (hopefully) on their journey.

I'm so sorry. It is so disappointing to lose them after everything you put into raising them, and then a predator comes along... Makes you even angrier. I hope you are able to fix your coop and rebuild your flock.

I'm so sorry you lost your flock, that must have been devastating. Since you aren't getting any more birds until spring, that will give you time to turn your coop into Fort Knox.

I wish you were joining us under happier circumstances but it is nice you're here.

welcome-byc.gif

sure hate to hear about that.

maybe now would be a good time to start with pullets, young chickens? Give them these winter months to mature and be ready to start laying in the spring?

Sorry to hear about your hens. It happened to me 2 years in a row now, right before the 1st egg. Coons. On my 2nd batch this year. Switched to Cornish so they can brood and make their own replacements.

McMurray hatchery sells Started Pullets. I tried to give you a link but it was not allowed because I am new to the forum.

Go to McMurray hatchery and look in the menu for started pullets. They cost more than baby chicks. They will start to lay soon after they arrive.

You might get this post again with the link after they look at my account.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom