All purpose flock feeder

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Hello! I had a 5 year old rooster die, then another has developed bloody diarrhea. After getting help from another post, I had a sample tested to rule out worms and coccidiosis. The only other conclusion that we came up with (since this is only affected roo’s) is that it must be the feed.
I have a mixed flock and was feeding them all layer pellets. Unbeknownst to me of the dangers of kidney and liver failure to the roo’s for too much calcium.
I switched to an all purpose feed and was literally shocked at the price. Has anyone found a better way to feed other than separating the flock, which for me would be impossible. Would like to hear what you are all doing , if anything, to help with the cost of the rising feed prices.

If your risk tolerance is high enough, your predator load low enough, and you have the area to support it, you can improve your range and cut the feed bill (seasonally) somewhat by allowing them to forage. During the best months, my birds reduce feed consumption about 35% in that way. You might also find a local farm/feed store which is significantly cheaper than a TSC, Rural King, Farm & Fleet, or Pet [X]. You might also find it effective (though it does not eliminate risks, merely extends the timeframe) to mix a more expensive, much higher protein feed, with the much lower quality lower priced layer feed, and reduce calciium somewhat that way - but whether or not that is more cost effective than buyiung a mid range All Flock feed or not is dependent solely on local pricing.

Otherwise, the best way to reduce feed costs is still to reduce flock size, just as it was in prior centuries. Particularly as your flock ages, production drops, feed costs remain roughly constant, and the likelihood of health challenges increases - whether its a progressive pathology like calcium toxicity in roosters, or the onset of reproductive tract problems in hens, or the slow degradation of age which eventually leaves us all vulnerable to illness and injury until some cause provides an exit from this life.

I switched to an all purpose feed and was literally shocked at the price
By all purpose do you mean all flock/flock raiser? If so you might be able to meet your needs and bring the price down by looking for a starter/grower.

Example with my local price

Purina layena 16%-22.99
Purina flock raiser 20%-25.99
Dumor starter/grower 20%-19.49

I have had excellent results with Nutrena All Flock + oyster shell on the side. My ducks eat it, too. I add nutritional yeast to the pellets to make it even more suitable for my ducks.

And I'm starting a fodder system. I get seed by the pound at my local nursery, rinse them, put a layer of seeds in a tray with holes drilled for drainage, water it 2x daily, and within a week, I've got fodder. Costs FAR less than feed and really cuts back the amount of feed they consume.

I will also be implementing grow boxes (2x4 frame with hardware cloth over it, greens grown inside it). Again, really cuts back on the amount of feed they consume.

I like to mix a bag of that with 6-7# of scratch to use as a treat. I figure even if I toss a couple of cups out for them they won't get more than a few tablespoons of scratch between all of them.
I sometimes mix it with starter, too, during molts. It's been great.

Forgot to mention fermenting. You can ferment any feed. It's a bit of work, but does ultimately cut back on cost.

Back
Top Bottom