Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

Agreed, it might and it might not. That's why I say a test batch.
Yes. I can freeze a test batch in an air tight container.
I am pretty sure if I don’t open it until it has thawed that there won’t be a moisture issue.
I routinely keep flour and whole seeds in the freezer as a precaution against weevils so I kinda know how dry stuff behaves in the freezer.
But I think a test batch is a good idea.

I am pretty sure if I don’t open it until it has thawed that there won’t be a moisture issue.
When I used to take my camera outside in the winter, I'd take along a ziploc bag. Before I set foot in the comparatively warm and humid house, the camera went in the bag and was zipped up tight. All the condensation formed on the outside of the bag. When the bag was dry again, it was safe to take the camera out and put it away.

I just got a new bag of Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker pellets.
This is the label which I think means May 20, 2023.
That is 8 weeks old when it gets to me.
Is that considered old? Or do you think that is OK?
View attachment 3577771
From what I have read, 3 months is the max. window for ensuring full vit. potency which degrades over time, That said, there are widely different opinions anc=d circumstances that affect this -how they are processed (level of heat) whether they 'overdose' some of the more ?volatile? minerals, so they are at correct levels at the presumed consumption time, et. That said, May is only 2 months prior - I think you will be okay, but it is your call.

I think more important is the conditions it is kept in (good conditions versus hot, humid, etc where it can become moldy or the oils can go rancid )provided it isn't super old.

This link is to a more scientific publishing, but as far as I read into it, I don't think it actually knows what is needed for the modern genetics of chickens.

You are the researcher - maybe you will find conclusive research one way of the other. My personal 'standard' is I like to use it by the time it is 3 mos. old if possible,

I can very rarely buy fresher dates than two months old. I keep the crumble in the coop, which is the fresher place of all my house (doesn't go above 22/71 at worse) and I still get food moth every summer. It's really an issue, now I also give them fermented grains, they eat the layer much more slowly and I can see that they shun it once it's been there for a month. I will be interested to know how your freezing experience goes (though I lack freezing place).

I'm a bit worried that they will eat it fast enough once thawed- if it stays in the heat for hours, will it not also lose added vitamins quickly?

@ManueB , do you keep your feed in a metal garbage can out there? Also, the one place that DE helps is with critters in the feed, maybe try that too. And don't buy much at once, so it gets used up fast.
Mary
Thanks for the tips ! I keep it in one of those big blue plastic barrel, but I could try to find a metal container.
I'm not really comfortable with the idea of putting DE in the food, even if it's food grade. How much would be needed to kill critters ?
And I buy 20 kilos/ 44 lbs. Smaller bags here are very expensive fancy brands marketed for people with only two or three chickens , easily twice the price per kilo.

Last edited:
I know, the small bags are useless, and here they tend to be way older than the big bags are.
I don't add DE to anything here, although that's exactly what it's used for. If you get metal cans, keep them up off the damp ground!
Mary
I get 50lb bags (I have never seen smaller bags except of medicated chick starter).
I did some sums and in theory my 7 chickens should eat the whole of that new bag before it gets to old.
The trouble with theory however is that it doesn't always work.
It is prime bug season and it has been raining a lot so there are dozens of worms and beetles and goodness knows what. My ladies are out stuffing their faces all day with whatever they find and really only eat the commercial food as a snack before bed. There is no way they are eating anything like the amount of feed they are 'supposed to'. Probably in the winter they would.

I get 50lb bags (I have never seen smaller bags except of medicated chick starter).
I did some sums and in theory my 7 chickens should eat the whole of that new bag before it gets to old.
The trouble with theory however is that it doesn't always work.
It is prime bug season and it has been raining a lot so there are dozens of worms and beetles and goodness knows what. My ladies are out stuffing their faces all day with whatever they find and really only eat the commercial food as a snack before bed. There is no way they are eating anything like the amount of feed they are 'supposed to'. Probably in the winter they would.
I have been getting mine to eat some layer in the morning, by putting out a bowl of wet mash when I let them out. They go straight for the bowl when they come out, and then head further away to look for bugs and greens. I also see them peck at it after laying an egg sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom