All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

Pics

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
Anyone else love history, antiques, and music of the past? There are so many rabbit holes one can dive into! Come join this thread to discuss interesting tidbits of history and share about your favorite vintage things, including music. Feel free to share pictures of and stories about any antiques you have, too. Furniture, clothing, books, other objects, anything! Bonus points for poultry-related antiques, as this is a chicken forum.

I'll begin:
Personally I am interested in aspects of American culture from around 1890-1950. Photographs, particularly of people, fascinate me, as I love to analyze the clothing and hairstyles. These days I have been most focused on Edwardian clothing. And when it comes to antiques I enjoy looking through vintage books (mainly children's literature and high school yearbooks), magazines and cookbooks, popular sheet music, typewriters, postcards relevant to my area, anything that has to do with animals....the list goes on.

- I have a small collection of volumes from the Stratemeyer Syndicate series "The Outdoor Girls," the first book of which was published in 1913. Other things include several typewriters, some records, a few pages of old sheet music, other miscellaneous books and magazines, a few pre-1920 postcards from my area, some reprint Sears & Roebuck catalog books (organized by decade), and a couple new books on fashion history. I may share pictures at some point.

When it comes to music (I am referring to popular music and jazz), I like the majority of what came out between the early 1900's and 1950. There are certain genres from after that time period that I like, but I am much more picky. I am fortunate to have a radio station not too far from me that plays Big Band music (1930's and '40's). I will be posting links to several songs from 1900 to say, 1960, a few times a week here just for fun and to spark discussion. If your taste for music doesn't match mine, that's okay! Share some songs you like.

Please keep everything you share, including music, appropriate for all ages.

I live in rural area, lots of antiques here. I collect tins mostly, coffee ones. I found a few from Colo. The breakfast call coffee tin doubled as a tin for raisins my Mom had it my whole life. That's what started the journey. The Breakfast call and solitaire where both from Denver, and yes that's my families old camping percolator and yes it works.
1000000605.jpg

1000000604.jpg

Here are some others I have found, the cabin looking one truly is a "log cabin" syrup container.
1000000603.jpg

And here is chicken cup holder " some kids 4H project no doubt. Soo I had to collect the cups of course! ( no wonder chicken math is so easy for me! )
1000000602.jpg

1000000606.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000605.jpg
    1000000605.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240120_155920074.jpg
    PXL_20240120_155920074.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I know nothing of typewriters, but I would LOVE to see those bottles sometime if you ever want to share!
Here's a couple I pulled out. I know nothing about bottles. I didn't go too deep in the boxes as these sit outside and there looks like there's plenty of spiders living in them 😅
I gave them a rinse on the outside so you can see them but I don't have anything to clean inside them.
20231018_165708.jpg

20231018_165830.jpg
20231018_165728.jpg

You've kinda got me interested in what we have now :rolleyes: Maybe I'll clean some out at some point.

Back
Top Bottom