all who are hatching quail

I have coturnix, bobwhites, and a pair of red golden pheasants in a large aviary. I noticed today that someone has built a nice little nest. I found 4 coturnix eggs, 8 bobwhites and one pheasant egg all in the same nest. Silly birds.

I just had 24 coturnix hatch last night and this morning. set 24 and had 24 hatch 100% hatch rate never had that happen with any eggs ever. The eggs were laid here at my house from chicks I hatched back in Dec.

Good Luck everyone! Oh wait my Aunt told me it's bad luck to say good luck when hatching eggs. So hope your hatches go well?!!

Last edited:
Titika, could I ask how you smoke yours? I have a hood BBQ and was wondering if I could smoke quail in that, and whether to use hot smoke?
The only real thing to worry about is that the flesh dries fast and if you smoke it too long it will have a jerky like texture on the outer flesh. If your smoking them in a bbq you can just open a can of cold beer and settle it into the coals it will act like a moisture pan and hydrate the birds as they cook.

I have a Leahy its old but it wasnt the Incubators fault . Mark put some things on top of it and grabbed the flash light turning the knobbs when he did that I thought i should check on the eggs the next am the temp was 138 + so high it was like a sauna in there and i removed everthing Immediatly I am getting good cause when an egg is rotten i smell it i let Mark check the only rotten one there , LMAO payback for killing 66 chicks and 5 duds out of 75 of my own try at doing what JMF had perfected since they are JMF Quail i did get to learn to cull .

Robby is a Wonderful person with lots of help when needed and answers any and all Questions and doesnt make me feel like and Idiot when i have one he has Probably answered thousands of times .

There are Great Breeders here fat daddy and others but i have not delt with them but have gotten Great advice from so you wont be stuck ever ,

Glad i have the Quail it has made me and my family a lot healthier and it shows in the cat rings when my 4 month old kittens weight 5-7 lbs and have the best coats Only change Quail eggs and meat. for me my Dr said my Health has also Improved , 

Totally agree about Robbie at JMF, he is great. I only raise his line jumbo line c birds now. I cull by egg size and 6 wk weights to select breeders vs meat birds. Trying to do just as he has advised. Love my JMF birds!!

are the jmf jumbo much different in size compared to other jumbo?

Significantly compared to the so called jumbo browns that I started with.
I weighed 20 of my 5.5 week old males today to cull and pick breeders from. The weight range from 235-255 grams, that is significant for 5.5 weeks old Roos. I weighed 7 males that were now 7 weeks old, ranged from 255-290grams, while the hens ranged from 298 to 335 grams. To be kept for a breeder I recheck my weights at 9 weeks, males must be at least 290 grams while hens must be over 310 grams. Most of my 4-5 week old birds are now bigger than mature adults of the old jumbo browns. Defiantly worth switching to the JMF XLD line, mine are the C line of Robbie's birds.
Here is a pic- the three birds on the right I thawed out of the freezer, they were 8 week old jumbo brown hens from my original birds that I raised last summer. The three birds on the left are 3 fresh processed JMF 8 week old hens. I let this pic do my advertising to sell chicks.

just put 40 eggs from my bobwhites in the incubator. I have 2 male and 3 females. some of the eggs are around a month old and all are developing so it's possible for older eggs to develop. Hoping they hatch. I think it depends on how and where they are stored before incubation.

Back
Top Bottom