all who are hatching quail

CrowWing Native,    I am still developing my housing for adult quail. I have no adult quail at this time. I have 4 weeks to get it done. The plan is for them to live in a shed that I have outside. One inside wall of the shed will have wooden racks built that will hold the cages. The cages will be slightly slanted to the front to have eggs roll forward for easy collection. Directly beneath the cages will be a pan for collection of droppings. These will be hosed out often to keep air quality high. I want the cages to be removable, so that birds can be moved around and cages cleaned or even power washed before being put back into service. I'm building the cages myself. They will be all 1" x 1" wire with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom. I'll need several breeding cages, for 1 male and 3-4 females in each. Eggs from breeders will be incubated to produce more birds. I'll need several more cages for 4-5 females each for non-fertile egg production. And I'll need several more to grow-out of extra males. All extra males will go to freezer camp. ;)   I expect over time to build up to about 100 birds in these cages. It's a big shed, with good ventilation and it will offer great protection from predators. 

I have no doubt that I will be able to execute my plan flawlessly. :fl :lau
Best Regards.

I'm trying to get a few pairs of jumbo coturnix so this is what I want to build but make it bigger and turn the bottom into a shelf for day old chicks and use the top for 1-3 week old birds

I have my 4th batch of buttons in, silkie and polish eggs due today. Then I should be receiving today or tomorrow a dozen coturnix eggs in the mail. Ugh! I need another bator, need more room! Lol

Mikedero, mine did the same thing, but stopped after a few hours... I guess after pecking each other, they figured out that it must hurt. It's just like when a toddler bites. They realize it hurts when another toddler bites them.

Seven hatched now. Got the brooder set up and ready to add them tonight. Still hoping for more but either way this is a better hatch than last time.

We are enjoying the quail that we never planned on having! My 11 year old daughter likes the chicks but she is in love with the quail! Here are a couple pics of one of our 2 day old bobwhite quail:

Those needing help, If you haven't already try starting a new thread on your own in the quail thread.. I don't think alot of the more experienced ones with quail check this thread. Try doing a advanced search also. Alot of great info on this sight just takes a while to sort through it all.
I added ACV (apple cidar vinegar) to my water, after I lost a couple from this last hatch, and gave some small grit to help aid in their digestion. It was reccommend for my chicks that got pasty butt, so I thought why not try it on the quail, it seem to work. Yogurt was also suggested for the chicks, but I couldn't get them to try the yogurt. The quail were in the same room but in seperate brooders, and I noticed a couple had watery poo. There is some vitamin or save a chick stuff you can get but I've never used it but alot of people on byc swear byt he stuff.

I do agree with oktx that some just don't survive and there isn't anything you can do. It could be the parents, the parents diet, the storing of the eggs, the temps, any number of things. Sorry for your losses. Hope you find the cause and the cure.

31 have hatched, more are pipping/zipping! One is a recessive white again, with more spots this time it appears.

And I was afraid none were going to hatch!

The last 15 aren't due to hatch until tomorrow!

In spite of having 3 different (human caused) issues during incubation it looks like I'll have a good hatch rate!

17 Days for Coturnix. Sounds like you are taking them out of the incubator rather quickly. It is ok to leave them in there while the others hatch. I usually leave mine in the incubator at least until they are dry, and then I only open the incubator to get them out if no other eggs are pipped or zipping. You want to keep the humidity as steady as possible during the hatch.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. I'm more worried about them dieing from not being taken care of than the fact that someone took them. The weirdest thing is they left 20 behind l my breeders, my parrots, my chickens everything else. But locks are getting installed on all cages tomorrow night and our gates are already double padlocked, my husband installed locks on the patio door today where their cages are. We also installed motion lights. He wants to put barbed wire over the top of the fence LOL then cameras. It's gonna be like fort Knox here.

Poultry poaching can be a capital offense in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom