all who are hatching quail

CrowWing Native, I am still developing my housing for adult quail. I have no adult quail at this time. I have 4 weeks to get it done. The plan is for them to live in a shed that I have outside. One inside wall of the shed will have wooden racks built that will hold the cages. The cages will be slightly slanted to the front to have eggs roll forward for easy collection. Directly beneath the cages will be a pan for collection of droppings. These will be hosed out often to keep air quality high. I want the cages to be removable, so that birds can be moved around and cages cleaned or even power washed before being put back into service. I'm building the cages myself. They will be all 1" x 1" wire with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom. I'll need several breeding cages, for 1 male and 3-4 females in each. Eggs from breeders will be incubated to produce more birds. I'll need several more cages for 4-5 females each for non-fertile egg production. And I'll need several more to grow-out of extra males. All extra males will go to freezer camp.
wink.png
I expect over time to build up to about 100 birds in these cages. It's a big shed, with good ventilation and it will offer great protection from predators.

I have no doubt that I will be able to execute my plan flawlessly.
fl.gif
lau.gif

Best Regards.

CrowWing Native,    I am still developing my housing for adult quail. I have no adult quail at this time. I have 4 weeks to get it done. The plan is for them to live in a shed that I have outside. One inside wall of the shed will have wooden racks built that will hold the cages. The cages will be slightly slanted to the front to have eggs roll forward for easy collection. Directly beneath the cages will be a pan for collection of droppings. These will be hosed out often to keep air quality high. I want the cages to be removable, so that birds can be moved around and cages cleaned or even power washed before being put back into service. I'm building the cages myself. They will be all 1" x 1" wire with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom. I'll need several breeding cages, for 1 male and 3-4 females in each. Eggs from breeders will be incubated to produce more birds. I'll need several more cages for 4-5 females each for non-fertile egg production. And I'll need several more to grow-out of extra males. All extra males will go to freezer camp. ;)   I expect over time to build up to about 100 birds in these cages. It's a big shed, with good ventilation and it will offer great protection from predators. 

I have no doubt that I will be able to execute my plan flawlessly. :fl :lau
Best Regards.
That is almost exactly what I am planning. Mine will be insulated as well with automatic lighting for 16 hours. I am planning to convert the shed next week and have already purchased cages from a former quail farmer that I feel can house up to 200. I will provide some picks for you. Very similar plan for raising.

That doesn't sound like a good idea but I'm interested to see how your hatch turns out. Can you start a new thread about this so I can fallow it?

CrowWing Native,    I am still developing my housing for adult quail. I have no adult quail at this time. I have 4 weeks to get it done. The plan is for them to live in a shed that I have outside. One inside wall of the shed will have wooden racks built that will hold the cages. The cages will be slightly slanted to the front to have eggs roll forward for easy collection. Directly beneath the cages will be a pan for collection of droppings. These will be hosed out often to keep air quality high. I want the cages to be removable, so that birds can be moved around and cages cleaned or even power washed before being put back into service. I'm building the cages myself. They will be all 1" x 1" wire with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom. I'll need several breeding cages, for 1 male and 3-4 females in each. Eggs from breeders will be incubated to produce more birds. I'll need several more cages for 4-5 females each for non-fertile egg production. And I'll need several more to grow-out of extra males. All extra males will go to freezer camp. ;)   I expect over time to build up to about 100 birds in these cages. It's a big shed, with good ventilation and it will offer great protection from predators. 

I have no doubt that I will be able to execute my plan flawlessly. :fl :lau
Best Regards.

I'm trying to get a few pairs of jumbo coturnix so this is what I want to build but make it bigger and turn the bottom into a shelf for day old chicks and use the top for 1-3 week old birds

Just put 25 eggs in! And one cracked egg that got repaired with wax and nail polish...

I have never tried this but people who have I have heard that still get a chick from it and it doesn't have a hard time hatching at all. Hope it hatches and good luck

I do believe I've read about this. My concern would be a bad egg killing the while hatch. I've learnt that try to explain my reasoning that saving one bird or egg in this case isn't worth the chance of losing the whole clutch. Of course I could be wrong & this might be just as safe as the eggs not cracked. It just seems like a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom