all who are hatching quail

31 have hatched, more are pipping/zipping! One is a recessive white again, with more spots this time it appears.

And I was afraid none were going to hatch!

The last 15 aren't due to hatch until tomorrow!

In spite of having 3 different (human caused) issues during incubation it looks like I'll have a good hatch rate!

Just set 500 Northern Bobwhite quail eggs yesterday! Time to work on large brooding areas. Anyone ever used a battery of box brooders (GQF manufactured)?

I have the white A&M quail......I put them in the incubator as I collect them....got them to eat....but that's probably not going to happen...they are to darn cute!....the problem I had was when they hatch they were jumping out of my cabinet incubator...and boom to the floor...I nearly stepped on them, not to mention they were getting cold...so this is what I did to remedy it

took out the 2 lower screws at the back of the GQF and put the wire up and the screws back in place to secure the wire.....no more escapes...~Charm1704

I have my first quail hatch now, ended up with 86 that are 2 days short of 3 weeks old. I would love to have the battery brooders, considering the GQF. Couldn't believe how fast the quail out grew the water trough brooder that I have used on my chicken chicks. They also would be much easier to clean up after 1 st week when can be on wire. The shavings get dirty so fast with a big hatch of quail. They also fly straight up at you when having too move the top to take care of them. Would be so much better to have the real brooders with front opening doors. If I decide to keep hatching some out I will get the brooders. This was my first time and was to put 80% in freezer and breed the others for the summer.
Just set 500 Northern Bobwhite quail eggs yesterday! Time to work on large brooding areas. Anyone ever used a battery of box brooders (GQF manufactured)?

100 A&Ms went in on the 5th, hatching any day now. They ALL passed float test. That is way more birds than I am prepared to deal with LOL.

Back
Top Bottom