all who are hatching quail

how old are they? Do you have any pics?
big_smile.png

Hey are they kept outside or inside? I've read they usually need at least 14 hours of light exposure a day to keep them laying. I dunno about where you are but here in Colorado we're only getting about 9 hours of daylight lately. Might want to see about adding an artificial light source for them.

Hey are they kept outside or inside? I've read they usually need at least 14 hours of light exposure a day to keep them laying.  I dunno about where you are but here in Colorado we're only getting about 9 hours of daylight lately. Might want to see about adding an artificial light source for them.

X2. Mine quit laying by the end of October, I put a light on a timer on them, it took about three weeks but they are all laying pretty good again.

I gave some to a friend south of me, they were just maturing about that time, pretty close to the same age as yours, and they did not start laying at all until he put a light on them. So birds maturing just as the autumn hits may require a light to get going or wait until the Spring comes.

Last edited:
On the subject of water drinkers, I ordered one that turned out enormous. . So my man made one for me from a pump style water bottle...the ones with the pull out top and screwed a peanut butter plastic jar lid through the centre, it works on the vacumm/gravity feed system and they really like it! Great when I first moved them to the brooder.
Just tried to add photo but spat me out.
The lid is shallow enough to be safe too

On the subject of water drinkers, I ordered one that turned out enormous. . So my man made one for me from a pump style water bottle...the ones with the pull out top and screwed a peanut butter plastic jar lid through the centre, it works on the vacumm/gravity feed system and they really like it! Great when I first moved them to the brooder.
Just tried to add photo but spat me out.
The lid is shallow enough to be safe too

I would love to see a picture of this. I wonder if there's a way around the uploading problem?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom