all who are hatching quail

I'm on day 17 of 74 14-0z & above Coturnix quail eggs I set--I have 16 hatched so far. I'm worried I'll have another bad hatch rate. Last time, I set 57 & only hatched 34 and these are my own eggs that I collected in 5 1/2 days (45-50% humidity & 65% at lockdown, 99.5-99.8 temp). A friend told me to up my humidity to 60s then 70s for the last 3 days. I live 6500 above sea level & I've heard it can be tricky to hatch at this elevation. With these batch of eggs, I was able to keep the humidity at a more consistent 60s the first 15 days then 77% at lockdown and kept the temp at a steady 99.8.
What else can I do different?
when i hatch coturnix i run incubator at 99.5 with 20-30% no more then 40% humidity until last 4 days then i run humidity in 80-85 % range i average 75% -85% hatch rates i run auto tunners. hope this helps i have had 100% hatch twice on my own eggs, shipped eggs i hatch anywhere between 45 and 50%. i incubate 120 eggs at a time.

I have lost my two little button quail yesterday. I haved a problem with humidity and they were wet...

when i hatch coturnix i run incubator at 99.5 with 20-30% no more then 40% humidity until last 4 days then i run humidity in 80-85 % range i average 75% -85% hatch rates i run auto tunners. hope this helps i have had 100% hatch twice on my own eggs, shipped eggs i hatch anywhere between 45 and 50%. i incubate 120 eggs at a time.

I have the genesis 1588 and it did say that when in doubt, go low on humidity but everyone I've asked here in AZ said that they hatch at that high a humidity. That's a great hatch rate, idhound--what's your elevation? Is the altitude as great a factor as everyone here makes it out to be?

if you are hatching Coturnix give them until day 20, if you are hatching other quail give them until day 25

With my last batch & very first hatch I gave up day 19 late evening bec I read that you don't really want to breed late hatching birds otherwise the next generation of birds will be hatching 4 days later. Is there any truth in that? I will give them more time. I do have a batch of Silkie eggs I want to set after this but I want to keep getting better at this so am not wasting eggs.

I'm on day 17 of 74 14-0z & above Coturnix quail eggs I set--I have 16 hatched so far. I'm worried I'll have another bad hatch rate. Last time, I set 57 & only hatched 34 and these are my own eggs that I collected in 5 1/2 days (45-50% humidity & 65% at lockdown, 99.5-99.8 temp). A friend told me to up my humidity to 60s then 70s for the last 3 days. I live 6500 above sea level & I've heard it can be tricky to hatch at this elevation. With these batch of eggs, I was able to keep the humidity at a more consistent 60s the first 15 days then 77% at lockdown and kept the temp at a steady 99.8.
What else can I do different?

I live at about 6000 feet in Colorado also a dru climate like yours. I incubated at 40% humidity and upped it to 60% on lockdown. I only had 9 in the bator but all hatched for a 100% hatch rate. I would say if the quail are used to lower humidity then hatch at lower humidity. It has worked for me on chickens as well as quail.

With my last batch & very first hatch I gave up day 19 late evening bec I read that you don't really want to breed late hatching birds otherwise the next generation of birds will be hatching 4 days later. Is there any truth in that? I will give them more time. I do have a batch of Silkie eggs I want to set after this but I want to keep getting better at this so am not wasting eggs.
most of my quail hatch at 17 days but it also depends on age of eggs when they are started for incubatation process if you have eggs older then 7 days they can take longer to hatch so if you are like me and wait until you have good batch to hatch you will want to give some of the older eggs extra time. as far as what you have quoted never have heard that and i have been around poultry since i was 4 yrs old and now approaching 43. my dad and i used to hatch in old sears incubator that used light bulb for heat. we would always give extra few days. just incase we did something wrong during incubation period. i am at 5700 ft elevation never even took that into consideration to tell you the truth i have always kept my humidity lower until last 4 days and then get it up high. if you have it to high during incubation i have seen issue with feet and legs be weak and deformed in chicks. i know my dad used to go no water until last 4 days of cycle. he believed that to much humidity cause to many legs issues (where i get it from). he's raised birds all my life i didnt start doing anything with them until i was around 4-5 yrs old. i hatched out lots of coturnix in my life, not to mention chickens and pheasents we use to hatch out 3000 ringnecks a year for our farm in southern idaho. only i do different is quail and pheasent i have temp at 99.5 and chickens i bump it to 100.5. use this if you want hopefully it works for you works for me. some might disagree with me and that is fine, not saying my way is the perfect way but it works for me.

one thing i also want to say is i usually pull my chicks after couple hours and put then in brooder

I live at about 6000 feet in Colorado also a dru climate like yours. I incubated at 40% humidity and upped it to 60% on lockdown. I only had 9 in the bator but all hatched for a 100% hatch rate. I would say if the quail are used to lower humidity then hatch at lower humidity. It has worked for me on chickens as well as quail.
congrats on the success

Back
Top Bottom