all who are hatching quail

it sounds like the little guy may be shooting with blanks at the moment. He may need to get a little olde rbefore you try again. The ventilation holes are very important in getting a good hatch. I have one directly behind my fan and another down at floor level. Oxygen in and CO2 out. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and will sink to the bottom and get moved out the hole due to the positive pressure of the air hole behind the fan. I have had some pretty good hatch rates with my old wine refrigerator incubator. Good luck and keep us posted.

One chick out already and I see several of little beaks peeking out of shells!
wee.gif

My first experience ever with quail, other than in a restaurant.
big_smile.png

Ok so 8 of my 15 hatched these were all my own eggs which is cool. once they dried off they went in the brooder i had one drown in my waterer which had marbles but was a bad spot so that sucks. any recommendations for waterers? Thanks

Ok so 8 of my 15 hatched these were all my own eggs which is cool. once they dried off they went in the brooder i had one drown in my waterer which had marbles but was a bad spot so that sucks. any recommendations for waterers? Thanks
i use aquarium gravel in a shallow dish. That way if they do fall they can get better traction then they can with marbles.

... i had one drown in my waterer which had marbles but was a bad spot so that sucks. any recommendations for waterers? Thanks
I'm so sorry you lost one.
sad.png

I'm just planning on using a couple of very shallow (1/4" deep) lids and putting some pebbles in them....at least until the chicks get a few days old. Then I'll switch over to a regular chick waterer with rocks in it.

I've been using the same small chicken water fonts for years and have never had a chick drown. Put more marbles in it. I use the flattened ones they sell in bags at the dollar store. It will take almost a bag and a half to fill the water font correctly. They should have to reach between marbles to find water. A good indicator is if they can walk across the marbles without getting wet at all you have enough marbles in the dish.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I took a tall plastic container (it had instant coffee in it) and cut a small hole in the side, about an inch up from the bottom. The hole is small enough for their head/beak, but not their bodies. I filled it with pea gravel and then filled it with water til it overflowed out the hole. They peck between the rocks for the water. I peck a couple of beaks in the water, they teach each other how to drink.

We hatched 9 button quails this week (this was our first time incubating quail). We used the Brinsea Mini Advance (love that incubator! We could easily see everything happening and take plenty of photos and video.) It's been such a fun week!

You can watch my button quail videos on Flickr here (all of them are no more than 90 seconds long, since that's Flickr's time limit).

Back
Top Bottom