all who are hatching quail

Hm, so out of two batches with 30 shipped button quail eggs in total, I got one to hatch. When I did my first eggtopsy, it appeared as if most the eggs had no development.

Could someone suggest what I could have done differently to get better results...? I know most people get at least 1/3 of their shipped eggs to hatch.

Thanks..

There's not really any way to tell you what to do differently, if I don't know what you did. 

Was it you and I joking about a temp spike? and was it this batch? if the answer is yes to both of those, is it also possible you had a spike early on?

At any rate I want to help if you'll fill in some blanks, PM is ok too.  -QJ

Ah, thanks. I did have some spikes, but that was later in the incubation, so I'm at a loss as to why there were so many that did not develop at all.

Is this entirely the fault of infertile eggs/shipping problems..?

This last hatch, it was hot out for a bit and it disrupted my incubation, making it too hot inside. I had to move the lid so that there was an opening, which was horrid for the humidity.. Still, one hatched and I'm grateful. I'll do an eggtopsy Wednesday.

Having 1 of 30 hatch either says you HORRIBLY mishandled the incubation ( which I do not believe is the case)

Or something went wrong with the eggs, maybe the rooster went on vacation, who knows...

but I don't really think it was your fault unless you had a pretty high spike in the beginning.

I'd almost bet I could get 1 out of 30 to hatch on the back of my TV.

Well, actually no, it hasn't been on in months.

Last edited:
Did you let the eggs sit still before incubating them i just hatched 8 out of 15 coturnix and my egg turner went out for 3 days and i had a couple temp spikes

I would say there is an infertility problem there. I would ask the place where you got the eggs from if anyone else that they shipped eggs to has reported a problem.

I'm so sorry you lost one.
sad.png

I'm just planning on using a couple of very shallow (1/4" deep) lids and putting some pebbles in them....at least until the chicks get a few days old. Then I'll switch over to a regular chick waterer with rocks in it.

I also use lids of jars or mason bottles. This last batch i used the lid of an old cookie tin. I do this for the first week until they get their 'sea legs' and then switch to a regular waterer.

Having 1 of 30 hatch either says you HORRIBLY mishandled the incubation ( which I do not believe is the case)

Or something went wrong with the eggs, maybe the rooster went on vacation, who knows...

but I don't really think it was your fault unless you had a pretty high spike in the beginning.

I'd almost bet I could get 1 out of 30 to hatch on the back of my TV.

Well, actually no, it hasn't been on in months.

Haha, or maybe under my laptop when it overheats XD

I have been doing it the slow way, with only one breeding pair, then one second generation pair.
The second generation males, one died after 6 months, and the second has not hatched any, nor has his partner tried to.

The original breeding pair, then had 5 eggs hatched a few weeks ago. After 3 weeks I am down to 3 chicks which are doing well. One light and two darker ones.
They are starting to try to fly and have started growing the adult feathers.

It is unreal to read of hatchings of 30 to 50 birds at a time. My local Doctor has offered to lend me his incubator and I might take him up on that one.
For genetic purposes, I might consider buying eggs by mail. I am in Melbourne, Australia and found that there was a shortage of female birds for purchase this year.
Are there any Australian Quail enthusiasts /breeders on this site?

Hm, so out of two batches with 30 shipped button quail eggs in total, I got one to hatch. When I did my first eggtopsy, it appeared as if most the eggs had no development.
Could someone suggest what I could have done differently to get better results...? I know most people get at least 1/3 of their shipped eggs to hatch.

Thanks..
here is what my opinion is, I think it has to do more with where the eggs are laid and shipped from then incubation process. I have found out that if I ship in eggs for elevation lower them me they weep and hatch rates are way low I shipped in some chicken eggs for LA and had 1 of 12 hatch and 2 develop. second if they wasn't properly marked live embryos then they was probably x-rayed by postal carrier which killed eggs. I know a lot of people wont mark cause they are afraid post office mistreats packages I found marking them is better. and last if they were valley, mountain, or rare breeds of bobwhites they don't ship well at all. and you can throw gamble into them also. if you can find local breeder for those breeds. but you said button I haven't had problems with them or coturnix unless they have been x-rayed by post office. I have shipped a lot of coturnix and had very good feedback on hatch rates. one shipment had 90% hatch rate. not much you can do if your not to blame for issue.

Thanks..

here is what my opinion is, I think it has to do more with where the eggs are laid and shipped from then incubation process. I have found out that if I ship in eggs for elevation lower them me they weep and hatch rates are way low I shipped in some chicken eggs for LA and had 1 of 12 hatch and 2 develop. second if they wasn't properly marked live embryos then they was probably x-rayed by postal carrier which killed eggs. I know a lot of people wont mark cause  they are afraid post office mistreats packages I found marking them is better. and last if they were valley, mountain, or rare breeds of bobwhites they don't ship well at all. and you can throw gamble into them also. if you can find local breeder for those breeds. but you said button I haven't had problems with them or coturnix unless they have been x-rayed by post office. I have shipped a lot of coturnix and had very good feedback on hatch rates. one shipment had 90% hatch rate. not much you can do if your not to blame for issue.

Thanks! That's some pretty interesting info.

Get a water bottle or soda bottle. Cut off the neck of the bottle and use it as a brace for the quails neck. As of why its caused I am unsure, I had an ameraucana chick with this twisted neck problem, unfortunately she passed away.

Actually im kind of suprised there a week old now and are all really healthy his necks still twisted and is getting worse but is still eating and drinking my egg turner wasnt work for 3 days of incubation so im wondering if thats it. hes still riding hard tho and is pretty active.

Back
Top Bottom