all who are hatching quail

I set 92 eggs in my old Hovabator last night. It's been extremely hot here and the coturnix always lay in the heat of the day, from 2-5:00 each day. I try to collect eggs every half hour if possible but sometimes I had to work and they would be in the 90 degrees + heat in the shade until I could bring them in. We'll see what kind of hatch I get from these.

I just put 24 in the incubator, but really I don't have high hopes of any but maybe 7 or 8 hatching. I only have 1 pair of Bob Whites and I have been collecting eggs for a few months from her, only recently have I started marking them with a date, about a week now, since she only lays every other day or so.

I have never hatched anything but chicken eggs, so I hope I get a few to hatch. LOL

Despite hubby's complaints, I always sleep with the bedroom window open just an inch or so every night, regardless if it's the dead of winter or the height of summer, just in case anything out of the ordinary happens...opossum trying to get into the coop, a goat having kids, an impending tornado, or one of any number of other things that could occur on a Midwest farm stead in the middle of the night.

And as such, early this morning I was awaken by a distress call in the midst of the morning chorus that was being performed by all of the wild birds. Hubby said it was my imagination and to just go back to sleep (he had partially awaken as I was getting up), but I got dress anyway and hurried outside to find a lone quail pitter-pattering back and forth across the patio, giving the most pitiful little calls...apparently it had managed to slip by youngest son last evening when he took care of them. I was afraid it would fly away, but it just ran into the grass at the edge of the patio and then sat there, and I was able to just reach down and pick it up. Now it's safely back with the others and all is well and quiet on the home front.

Needless to say, the window will be open an inch or so again tonight.
smile.png

I set 92 eggs in my old Hovabator last night.  It's been extremely hot here and the coturnix always lay in the heat of the day, from 2-5:00 each day.  I try to collect eggs every half hour if possible but sometimes I had to work and they would be in the 90 degrees + heat in the shade until I could bring them in.  We'll see what kind of hatch I get from these.
Weve had that happen here on AR too a few times never had an issue we set 120 eggs and got about 95 to hatch sooo id say it doesnt really affect them

just put 40 eggs from my bobwhites in the incubator. I have 2 male and 3 females. some of the eggs are around a month old and all are developing so it's possible for older eggs to develop. Hoping they hatch. I think it depends on how and where they are stored before incubation.

Power went out today, so I was freaking out and looked in the bator.....4 snowflakes hatched 5 days early.....since they were still in the turner 1 got caught and didnt make it :( But the other ones are lively and adorable!

Power went out today, so I was freaking out and looked in the bator.....4 snowflakes hatched 5 days early.....since they were still in the turner 1 got caught and didnt make it :( But the other ones are lively and adorable!
I'm excited to see them. You should post pictures.

I set 92 eggs in my old Hovabator last night. It's been extremely hot here and the coturnix always lay in the heat of the day, from 2-5:00 each day. I try to collect eggs every half hour if possible but sometimes I had to work and they would be in the 90 degrees + heat in the shade until I could bring them in. We'll see what kind of hatch I get from these.
Funny how late the coturnix lay isn't it? They are so annoying when they don't lay until 5-7 p.m. for me
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom