all who are hatching quail

What's the best way to clean a styrofoam incubator after a hatch? Someone mentioned fumigating.

I use an anti bacterial spray then let it sit for like 10 minutes, Wipe that away and then spray bleach on it and let sit overnight. Works great for me and plus gets rid of the deep stains in the Styrofoam.

I do have an anitbacterial spray which will work great on the lid as well as the bottom. I don't want to use bleach near the metal parts but it will be fine on the bottom where most of the dirt is.

Do you use straight bleach or dilute it by a certain ratio with water?

I went from previous batch to current batch without cleaning / disinfecting. Kinda worry. I'm adding a tiny bit of Pine Sol to the humidifying water. I always added a some vinegar but this time I used Pine Sol to help disinfecting. I used it before and it didn't seem to kill the chicks.

When I built my incubator I didn't take cleaning into consideration. Now it's quite a pain to take everything apart to clean it. Will have to think about this in the next design.

I do have an anitbacterial spray which will work great on the lid as well as the bottom. I don't want to use bleach near the metal parts but it will be fine on the bottom where most of the dirt is.

Do you use straight bleach or dilute it by a certain ratio with water?

I just put straight bleach into a spray bottle and spray a thin layer on and let sit overnight. If there are stains I add a little more bleach to those areas. The bleach will not harm the Styrofoam, And No I wouldn't add that to the metal pieces. For the metal pieces and the more iffy areas I just spray a small amount of disinfectant on a rag and rub on them then I use a different damp rag with only water and wash the chemicals away. Seems to work just fine with me.

I went from previous batch to current batch without cleaning / disinfecting. Kinda worry. I'm adding a tiny bit of Pine Sol to the humidifying water. I always added a some vinegar but this time I used Pine Sol to help disinfecting. I used it before and it didn't seem to kill the chicks.

When I built my incubator I didn't take cleaning into consideration. Now it's quite a pain to take everything apart to clean it. Will have to think about this in the next design.

Pine sol is very aromatic, and quails tend to be allergic..for example cedar wood is too aromatic for use with quail, not that you wont get away with it but I would be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom