all who are hatching quail

if the smaller ones are 9.5 grams and 10.2, how much is the larger one? Is it double yolk? The hen is 7 weeks old. My scale barely goes over 10 grams. It's bigger than any I've tried to hatch. Roughly, 4/3 pie r cubed estimates by dimension the large egg weighs 19 grams.

Last edited:
We have 5 Coturnix hatched today, one more is still hatching. I also have a small clutch of Coturnix quail eggs under my broody silkie. She really wanted eggs and she took the quail eggs no problem. We have one that is really interesting looking, all brown on top and white on the bottom. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. We will only breed white with tan splash birds as our personal little breeding project.

Last edited:
if the smaller ones are 9.5 grams and 10.2, how much is the larger one? Is it double yolk? The hen is 7 weeks old. My scale barely goes over 10 grams. It's bigger than any I've tried to hatch. Roughly, 4/3 pie r cubed estimates by dimension the large egg weighs 19 grams.
It's not uncommon for new layers to lay double yolkers until they settle into laying. The normal eggs will increase in size for several weeks until they reach a regular size for that hen.

How do you get a herd going and maintain 14 ounce stock? I'd like to raise my limit which is 100 a year without permit, or maybe raise fewer.
To keep your quail size up only breed the biggest to the biggest and keep their offspring for breeding etc. If you start breeding in birds that are smaller your size will start to go down.

Last edited:
My quail hens are laying eggs in the sand box. Is this normal and ok?
I have one cage where the girls all lay in their sand box. It makes collecting eggs easier since they are all in one place. It's OK as long as they don't break eggs when they try to dust bathe. If they do then restrict their sand box usage and only give it to them before they lay eggs in the afternoon/evening.

I think the forum is having issues with uploaded images today. I've noticed it in a few threads. Maybe try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
My coturnix babies started hatching today! Still in the incubator so no pics of them yet. I'm thrilled though and spent some time grinding up game bird crumbles for them :)

Back
Top Bottom