all who are hatching quail

Punkreid & montanaquail: CONGRATS!!

My first ever hatch was Sep.3 and now I have 6 little (big) baby quail running around in the brooder that are going to be a month old in 2 days! They are getting their adult feathers in and are (trying) to start actually saying variations of "BOBWHITE!" instead of "PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP!!!!!" It's hard to believe that just 2 months ago I was nervously hovering over the incubator waiting for something to happen, and now all of my chicks are almost the size of my fist!
I wish everyone the best of luck, and may the hatch be ever in your favor (Sorry, just had to!)
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

Punkreid & montanaquail: CONGRATS!!

My first ever hatch was Sep.3 and now I have 6 little (big) baby quail running around in the brooder that are going to be a month old in 2 days! They are getting their adult feathers in and are (trying) to start actually saying variations of "BOBWHITE!" instead of "PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP!!!!!" It's hard to believe that just 2 months ago I was nervously hovering over the incubator waiting for something to happen, and now all of my chicks are almost the size of my fist! 
I wish everyone the best of luck, and may the hatch be ever in your favor (Sorry, just had to!) :jumpy :bun
I want to see pictures of your teenagers lol my bobs and Coturnix hatched around the same time as yours...

This may be an odd question, but I have Coturnix male that has a call like a Bobwhite has anyone ever ran across any Bobwhite Coturnix crosses, this is the first one I've ever had that sounds that way, the birds came from eggs I had purchased.

I know!
love.gif
The biggest and oldest chick is starting to get a reddish brown chest (which is I've heard , an indication of being a female?) And he/she lets all the other chicks nest under her and shell spread her little wings over them
clap.gif
It's the most adorable thing you've ever seen! I'll try to get a picture of them like that, but they can sense you watching them and then they start to call and wake each other up :( But I have time to sit and be patient...mostly because I'm home sick , haha
sickbyc.gif

I noticed yesterday when I put their little dust bath tub in the cage with them, all of them started flapping and flying and they all starting hitting the top of the lid!!! It sounded like popcorn popping
pop.gif
!!! Now, I can't open the top of the brooder all the way anymore because they will literally FLY out....
D.gif

Oh, and also one of the 2nd oldest chicks is very still when I open the lid and when I reach my hand in he walks medium-slowly over to it... What is he doing? He looks like a slow strutting chicken. It makes me nervous because (I know this sounds stupid) but he looks like he's gonna attack my hand!
lau.gif
When he's eating or drinking though, he lets me pet him for like 3 seconds.

jumpy.gif
Here are some tips for quail babies that I have learned
jumpy.gif
:
1) They love MEAL WORMS (NOT LIVE- Flukers brand in a small orange tin)
2) They love CRICKETS even more than meal worms (Only feed if they are OVER 2 WEEKS! small/med crickets until they get around 3-4 weeks, then you can switch the med./lrg.
3) They like to nestle in small rodent/animal "CASTLES" (When they get too big to all fit inside, flip the castle upside-down and put down shavings and some hay about 1" thick inside it, they'll nest together)
4) Provide them with a DUST BATH dish (I would recommend them being over the age of 1-2 WEEKS, because any time before that age they do have a frequent tendency to fall asleep without warning, so they could SUFFOCATE or breathe the dust in which is unhealthy. Also I recommend only putting the dish in about 1 time a week or a couple times a month)
5) Please do NOT TRY TO GRAB THEM (if you try to grab them or reach towards them in a quick motion, they will get STRESSED and either RUN AWAY, stumble and get INJURED, and also they could possibly continue their FEAR of "people hands" as they get older, which is not good)

Hope this helps anybody on their chick journey!!
frow.gif

Lockdown was Tuesday 11pm eastern time. My first hatch ever, Ce home to this tonight. So excited!!

Back
Top Bottom