all who are hatching quail

I'm so mad! Things were crazy at work yesterday and my boss never gave me a lunch break. My incubator was completely unattended for 10 hours...on day 17...in a really dry climate. Yeah, you can guess what happened. 27% when I came home after leaving it at 70% that morning. I am SO HEARTBROKEN! Those little buggers were within hours of hatching. I had one hatch on day 16, and he's so lonely the little brat imprinted on me and thinks I'm awesome. Granted, I am, but I wasn't anticipating a 1-1 relationship with the little guy. I named him Dinner when I was thinking he'd have buddies. Now Dinner is a pet, I guess.

My man, an engineer, suggested I put the incubator in a box of some sort (We'll probably have to build one out of plywood), and add humidity controls to THAT box to better stabilize the humidity fluctuations in the incubator itself. That will have to do for now until I get splurge a couple hundred bucks on a decent incubator and all the accessories to go with it. Oh, and I'll be speaking with my boss tomorrow about how regardless of how busy it is, I get a lunch whenever I have eggs on lockdown. No...matter...what!

I'm so mad! Things were crazy at work yesterday and my boss never gave me a lunch break. My incubator was completely unattended for 10 hours...on day 17...in a really dry climate. Yeah, you can guess what happened. 27% when I came home after leaving it at 70% that morning. I am SO HEARTBROKEN! Those little buggers were within hours of hatching. I had one hatch on day 16, and he's so lonely the little brat imprinted on me and thinks I'm awesome. Granted, I am, but I wasn't anticipating a 1-1 relationship with the little guy. I named him Dinner when I was thinking he'd have buddies. Now Dinner is a pet, I guess.

My man, an engineer, suggested I put the incubator in a box of some sort (We'll probably have to build one out of plywood), and add humidity controls to THAT box to better stabilize the humidity fluctuations in the incubator itself. That will have to do for now until I get splurge a couple hundred bucks on a decent incubator and all the accessories to go with it. Oh, and I'll be speaking with my boss tomorrow about how regardless of how busy it is, I get a lunch whenever I have eggs on lockdown. No...matter...what!

So sorry this happened to you. When you decide to set more eggs make sure to time it so they are hatching on the weekend or when ever you are not at work so you can be home to monitor the incubator.

So here are some of my 6 day old chicks. I had 19 of 24 eggs hatch. Most of them look like this

Which is jumbo brown couturnix

This one I'm not sure what color it will be

And then there is this one

Anyone have any idea what the last two will look like?
Thanks in advance,
Andy

The middle one looks Tibetan and the last looks to be tuxedo

One of my 36 day old hens has begun laying eggs. Now she's 40 and have 4 eggs. None of the others lay yet. The next hatchings, one laid sn egg at 5 weeks. Is this typical?

Last edited:
First day of hatching and got a really good result so far. Here is a heap hatching and being transferred to the brooder...

0.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:
I got some jumbo quail off ebay. The colors were varied including some white. They only got as heavy as 10 ounces. At six weeks they began to lay. I garhered some the first week and hatched about half of them. Now at 35 days two laid an egg! Is this normal or are these inbred?

I got some jumbo quail off ebay. The colors were varied including some white. They only got as heavy as 10 ounces. At six weeks they began to lay. I garhered some the first week and hatched about half of them. Now at 35 days two laid an egg! Is this normal or are these inbred?

They are fine. You don't really have to worry about being inbred or bringing in new blood until between the 15th and 20th generation. they do sometimes start laying early, no need to worry!

Back
Top Bottom