all who are hatching quail

Not sure if this is still going, and new here.... but snowflake, chestnut blue scale, gambel, California, A&M and k - thunder pheasent, mountain quail come Sept or Oct, and Mearns in few weeks. Looking for benson, Mearns, and mountain eggs or day Olds maybe adults for the right price.... and want ruffed grouse

[/IMG]

I am trying to get into quail again. I hatched bobwhites last year and didn't enjoy them at all. This year I have hatched Cots and Buttons and what a difference. Who would think that there could be such a difference in the flightiness between bobwhites and cots? Now I just need to figure out how I am going to house all of these little balls of fluff.

My 8 year old is in charge of the buttons and has decided to build the button quail breeding condos (she is using those sterilite 3 drawer storage cabinets that come on casters and is putting little windows of hardware cloth on each level and cloth with a door across the top of each drawer. It should be interesting if it works (easy to clean, easy to move, easy to prevent drafts in this freezing house in the winter).

I'm on my second hatch of Bobs, but I'm about to give in and try my hand at California Valley and/or Gambel's. I think they are beautiful birds.
I would LOVE to get my hands on some Mearn's quail, but talk about expensive!!
barnie.gif

I am trying to get into quail again. I hatched bobwhites last year and didn't enjoy them at all. This year I have hatched Cots and Buttons and what a difference. Who would think that there could be such a difference in the flightiness between bobwhites and cots? Now I just need to figure out how I am going to house all of these little balls of fluff.

My 8 year old is in charge of the buttons and has decided to build the button quail breeding condos (she is using those sterilite 3 drawer storage cabinets that come on casters and is putting little windows of hardware cloth on each level and cloth with a door across the top of each drawer. It should be interesting if it works (easy to clean, easy to move, easy to prevent drafts in this freezing house in the winter).
Cots have been domesticated for a very long time so are "tame" and tend not to be flighty. Much more pleasant to be around than other species of quail, especially if they will be housed in close proximity to people.

Please post pics of the button quail condos! They sound interesting.

I am new to quail. Still waiting for my bator to arrive. Was curious how much bigger are jumbo than say a regular coturnix? Still having a hard time deciding on my first batch..they are going to be for eggs and butcher

Back
Top Bottom