all who are hatching quail

I am new to quail. Still waiting for my bator to arrive. Was curious how much bigger are jumbo than say a regular coturnix? Still having a hard time deciding on my first batch..they are going to be for eggs and butcher
When I got my first "jumbos" they where 6-9 ounces. I've bred them up in size and the jumbos I have now are 10-14+ ounces. There are some that get to 16+ ounces, usually hens. The eggs are bigger too, 12-17 grams, when I started they where only 9-12 grams. So if you want a bigger carcass for meat as well as bigger eggs find or breed your own jumbos.

need help last year my quail sat on some eggs but they never hatched. I allowed them to do this again this spring, and to my surprise this morning I have a chick and another one breaking though the egg. The one that is already hatched is not walking just laying around and moving. Should I worry and what should I do? How soon should they be standing up and when should I put them under a heat lamp. please help.

need help last year my quail sat on some eggs but they never hatched. I allowed them to do this again this spring, and to my surprise this morning I have a chick and another one breaking though the egg. The one that is already hatched is not walking just laying around and moving. Should I worry and what should I do? How soon should they be standing up and when should I put them under a heat lamp. please help.
Is momma taking care of them at all? If not, you will need to get them under heat. Not all quail momma's know what to do with chicks. If she is not snuggling them immediately, get them under a heat lamp.

Thank you. there is another egg hatching also I can see the chick moving in the shell. This chick was at the side so I have put it under a heat lamp it is moving more but yet to stand. i hope I was not to late for it. A beautiful little miracle. I hope I have do the right thing for this little one.

All you can do is the best you can. Keep the chicks warm, 95 degrees on the floor with the chicks. Put out some water in a shallow water font, sprinkle crushed food all around the feeder area on a paper towel and tap with your fingers so they will eat.

When they first hatch, they are very weak. They don't start standing or running for a few hours. Make sure they are all dried off and get them under heat.

Not all chicks make it to adult hood. Hopefully the little chicks make it!

Thank you so much TwoCrows it is moving more then before and is now opening its eyes. Thank you again very much. All I can do is cross my fingers. and watch the other eggs.

i posted approx 6 days ago on my little quail chick. happy to say it is doing great is running around like crazy eating and drinking. I have a light on it about 90 degrees. It is going to be the 90's her this weekend I may turn the light off for an hour or so. and I read that every week lower the temps by 5 degrees. the other egg that was hatching did not make it. It could not get out of the egg, the mother and father are still sitting on the other 3 eggs. I will wait another week or so before I take them away. Thank you everyone for your help.

Thanks again TwoCrow: i posted approx 5 days ago on my little quail chick. happy to say it is doing great is running around like crazy eating and drinking. I have a light on it about 90 degrees. It is going to be the 90's her this weekend I may turn the light off for an hour or so. and I read that every week lower the temps by 5 degrees. the other egg that was hatching did not make it. It could not get out of the egg, the mother and father are still sitting on the other 3 eggs. I will wait another week or so before I take them away. Thank you everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom