Alls I wanted was two or three chickens......

We started out with 6, about 7 years ago. Have been up to 50 at one point. Now I have about 20 hens and 2 roos. Just ordered 6 blue coochins and 6 blue laced wynadottes. Also am getting ready to do a hatch. They are so addictive. And if I feel I have to many, I never have a problem selling them or trading some to neighbors for honey or maple syrup. I love this life! I even traded some a while back for some yard work! Now if I can only get my Doctor to play this game!

light brahmas are cool!!! I have one and she is the coolest I LOVE HER
love.gif

I'm in trouble. I have to go to the feed store today. I MUST stay away from the chick bins, I MUST.

Geez, I already have 5 chicks that are 3 weeks old, 2 that are almost 6 weeks old, 6 that are 10 weeks old -- they're all in the barn so I'm not even counting the 22 big chickens in the coop. Oh yeah, and the 24 Marans eggs that are incubating on the kitchen table.

I DO NOT NEED MORE CHICKS. I DO NOT NEED MORE CHICKS!!

This thread has me rolling. I don't even HAVE chickens OR chicks yet, and I can already tell how chicken math is going to be pulling at me by the arms and legs to recalculate!

Quote:
5 + 2 + 6 =13 potential chickens
22 acutal chickens
24 eggs,which always offset acutal and potential chickens therefore:

13+22 = 35 -24=11 total must always be divided by 2 leaving 5.5

fractions only count when adding small breeds when they can be added together to make one chicken and should be disregarded for our purposes here. Odd numbers are NEVER allowed and must be rounded down to the next even number

Grand total 4 actual chickens

I see no problem with more chickens

Last edited:
I had wanted chickens again for years. My last flock I had to give up when we lost our house. I had 36.

The new flock I am down to hehe 38, because chicks don't count. I have 3 brooders full of chicks even though I took 10 to the auction yesterday. Theres a bator on the kitchen table and a hatcher on the dresser in my bedroom. I have a Sportsman that I have bought replacement parts for, so I can fill that up. The hatcher started out as my second bator. My husband had built me one before that and we built a couple together which I had been using as hatchers before.

I have not stopped hatching since April 2010. Bators are always on. I might be good this year. It gets really hot here and I'm thinking I may not hatch during the hottest part of the summer.

We'll see.

Quote:
22 acutal chickens

fractions only count when adding small breeds when they can be added together to make one chicken and should be disregarded for our purposes here. Odd numbers are NEVER allowed and must be rounded down to the next even number

LOL...According to this version of chicken math, my whole flock just got wiped out. Out of 41 I now only have 2. I thought my version of C/M was bad enough. Looks like we will have to start a continuing education project for this matter.

Quote:
22 acutal chickens

lau.gif
:lau
yuckyuck.gif

and just think.... I don't even have a single chicken yet... seriously... I'm studying... we move at the end of the month into our new house where I can FINALLY have chickiens ...and I need to know how big to build the coop! LOL, beginning to look like an ark would be sufficient!

Last edited:
Quote:
22 acutal chickens

LOL...According to this version of chicken math, my whole flock just got wiped out. Out of 41 I now only have 2. I thought my version of C/M was bad enough. Looks like we will have to start a continuing education project for this matter.

Your poor thing, you NEED more chickens !
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom