My chicken coop is smaller than I expected :(

Nicgirl208

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
North Idaho, ID
Hello chicken parents!
I am a new chicken mom. I found my chicken coop online a couple of weeks ago. The online post said it was a 6ftx5ft chicken coop, not including the nesting boxes. Well, my husband and I brought it home, placed it and measured it because we are building a chicken run off of it. Turns out my chicken coop is only 4 ft wide and 5.5 ft long. It shouldn't be a big deal, except that I already have 10 pullets! :( They're only about 6 weeks old, however, now I'm thinking I may have to rehome a few??
I'm wondering if it'll be okay as long as I make sure I have enough roosting space for each bird? I currently have two roosting bars that are 5.5 ft long. What do ya'll think? I don't want a cramped and uncomfortable situation for my chickens.
Oh, also we live in the northwest so winters are long. Our chicken run is going to be 160 sqft and they will get to free range in our large back yard as well.
I added picture of my coop for reference. I appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• 435528683_419223427393402_1473062024265038026_n.jpg
    435528683_419223427393402_1473062024265038026_n.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 435524337_439644258519253_1116059818071643969_n.jpg
    435524337_439644258519253_1116059818071643969_n.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 434202268_944224500532644_660905180810460627_n.jpg
    434202268_944224500532644_660905180810460627_n.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 79
If they have plenty of room to run around in, they should be okay. If you see signs of aggression due to cramped spaces, then you'll want to think about rehoming.

Enjoy your chicken adventure!
Thanks so much! :) Once winter hits, I'll winterize the coop AND the run, so they will still have the run to roam in while it's cold outide.

Sounds like you have space for 5 chickens in your coop. But you do have over 10 ft of roost bars, and enough run space for 10 chickens. Do you plan to put feed and water inside the coop? Do you plan to keep the coop open to the run permanently, and predator protect and winterize the run? I'd say you could probably fit 6 in the coop if you really wanted to, but winter-time aggression is no joke. Just see if you have a few you like less than the others - maybe one turns out to be a roo, or a couple are really mean. Or you wait until they lay eggs and see how well they do at that, and sell a few then. I keep mine in a covered run year-round (no coop -I'm in the south, also many predators so no free range time). We get anywhere from three days to three weeks of snow, and about 3 months of winter weather. I've found that unless they have at least 15 sq ft of space per chicken, we have pecking and bullying issues. More space is always better.

In your case, do what you think is best, but if I were you, I would try and rehome at least a few. Enjoy your sweet new chicks!!! And that sucks that they told you one thing and it turned out to be smaller. That's not cool!

The upper roost is too high and way too close to the wall. The roost should be at least one foot away from the wall and each other.

I would take down the top roost and cut it to fit in the general location noted by the red line. If you just screw it into the sides of the two vertical supports over and supported by the long roost, it will give the birds about 9.5 feet. They will use the cross over section. And if you ever need to, you can just remove the two screws to get the short roost out of the way.

1712609032248.png

The upper roost is too high and way too close to the wall. The roost should be at least one foot away from the wall and each other.

I would take down the top roost and cut it to fit in the general location noted by the red line. If you just screw it into the sides of the two vertical supports over and supported by the long roost, it will give the birds about 9.5 feet. They will use the cross over section. And if you ever need to, you can just remove the two screws to get the short roost out of the way.

View attachment 3795692
Thank you, I really appreciate your input because I was actually thinking the same thing about that upper roost bar. My hubby is helping me replace the roost bars today, so I will definitely move the second one.

Sounds like you have space for 5 chickens in your coop. But you do have over 10 ft of roost bars, and enough run space for 10 chickens. Do you plan to put feed and water inside the coop? Do you plan to keep the coop open to the run permanently, and predator protect and winterize the run? I'd say you could probably fit 6 in the coop if you really wanted to, but winter-time aggression is no joke. Just see if you have a few you like less than the others - maybe one turns out to be a roo, or a couple are really mean. Or you wait until they lay eggs and see how well they do at that, and sell a few then. I keep mine in a covered run year-round (no coop -I'm in the south, also many predators so no free range time). We get anywhere from three days to three weeks of snow, and about 3 months of winter weather. I've found that unless they have at least 15 sq ft of space per chicken, we have pecking and bullying issues. More space is always better.

In your case, do what you think is best, but if I were you, I would try and rehome at least a few. Enjoy your sweet new chicks!!! And that sucks that they told you one thing and it turned out to be smaller. That's not cool!
I wasnt planning on putting the food in coop Hmmm... those are good questions. I am predator proofing the run, however, Id be so worried about them having access all night to the run. I'm considering having my hubby build an addition to coop for them to access an enclosed food/water area ... My poor husband lol.

Oh, also we live in the northwest so winters are long. Our chicken run is going to be 160 sqft and they will get to free range in our large back yard as well.
How's the ventilation....are the soffits open for air flow?
Will your run have a solid roof?

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Nicgirl208
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1712609829428.png

Even with the original measurements, it would’ve been a bit tight. General consensus is 4 sq ft per bird inside the coop and 10 sq ft per bird outside so you’re good on run space but yeah, I would definitely build that addition or rehome some.
I know =/ Chicken math got me bad already.

Back
Top Bottom