Almost 3 week old chicks. What are they?

CDAchicks

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Warren County, NJ
As the title says, I have chicks who will be 3 weeks on Tuesday. I initially believed the black chicks I received from Meyer Hatchery, to all be Barred Plymouth Rocks, but it's appearing that only one is a BR and I'm 99% positive he's a cockerel. Wider barring, blurred dot on the head, lighter leg color combo. However, this was just a guess since I'm still knew to guessing chick breeds. Anyway, I ordered 4 straight run Adopt Me Bargains, 1 Production Pack Female, 1 White Egg Layer Assortment Female(which was a Polish that failed to thrive) and a Meyer Meal Maker for a free extra chick. The Production Pack female states that it would be one of the following breeds: Golden Buff, Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp or a White Leghorn. So, with this info in hand, guess away!

And here's the BPR's beautiful pictures:
20200613_203649.jpg 20200613_203709.jpg 20200613_203713.jpg
The rest of them have no barring at all. Just a few white feathers on their wings.This first one we call Queenie because she's definitely the bossy one and gives our BR an attitude. Lol.
20200613_203812.jpg 20200613_203841.jpg 20200613_203851.jpg 20200613_204026.jpg

Next is our Sunshiney yellow who lacks tail feathers so far, but has a fairly chill personality overall.
20200613_204254.jpg 20200613_204237.jpg 20200613_204249.jpg

Next we have slightly flighty, but curious about my hand whenever I reach into the brooder. S/he will peck my hand, but run at all sudden moves. Also the most photogenic so extra photos for this one.
20200613_204505.jpg 20200613_204507.jpg 20200613_204518.jpg 20200613_204456.jpg 20200613_204752.jpg

Then there's Queenie's almost twin Luna, but her cheeks aren't as fluffy and she's super flighty and so my hand is in more of her photos. (Queenie also photo bombed in the brooder by sitting on the branch.)
20200613_205114.jpg 20200613_205150.jpg 20200613_205214.jpg 20200613_205238.jpg

And last but not least, the chick who may or may not be a meat chick. Feathers have started coming in redder than they initially were so this one is a puzzle. I'll put the older photo last to show how fast they changed in 6 days. 20200613_204959.jpg 20200613_204943.jpg 20200613_204930.jpg 20200607_213528.jpg

And because everyone needs this cuteness in their lives here's my 5 day old pullet that I believe is a Partridge Cochin named Blackberry, followed by the two White Crested Black Polish pullets named Lucy and Ethel (yes, an I Love Lucy reference. I grew up on reruns.) And a little yellow pullet of IDK breed or name yet! (These were all ordered as females and the Cochin and yellow were from the brown egg layer assortment.)
20200613_205553.jpg 20200613_205505.jpg 20200613_205332.jpg 20200613_205412.jpg

Last edited:
Just replied and my wireless shut off So my reply might post again in the AM when it comes back on. Thinking the white chick is a leghorn and the black chicks are australorps. The red chick looks like a hatchery quality RIR or a New Hampshire (leaning towards NH) but since you specifically ordered a meat bird, perhaps it's a red ranger type?

Last edited:
Barred Rock cockerel--probably correct.

Queenie and Luna have pea combs. Probably Olive Egger, but possibly Black Ameraucana. (Ameraucana should have muff/beard, and I'm not seeing that on your chicks.)
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=OEGS
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BAMS

The other black one has a single comb, so it could be an Australorp or a Jersey Giant or something like that.

The one that's growing white feathers: something white with a single comb, but not Cornish Cross. Unfortunately, the list of possibilities is quite long :)

No new thoughts about the mysterious red one.

Your "Production Pack female" is likely either the single comb black one, or the white one. (Black Australorp or White Leghorn.)

The "Meal Maker" might be the other of the black one and the white one, or might be the red one.

I'm guessing the two with pea combs and the Barred Rock are three of the "Adopt Me" four.

Barred Rock cockerel--probably correct.

Queenie and Luna have pea combs. Probably Olive Egger, but possibly Black Ameraucana. (Ameraucana should have muff/beard, and I'm not seeing that on your chicks.)
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=OEGS
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BAMS

The other black one has a single comb, so it could be an Australorp or a Jersey Giant or something like that.

The one that's growing white feathers: something white with a single comb, but not Cornish Cross. Unfortunately, the list of possibilities is quite long :)

No new thoughts about the mysterious red one.

Your "Production Pack female" is likely either the single comb black one, or the white one. (Black Australorp or White Leghorn.)

The "Meal Maker" might be the other of the black one and the white one, or might be the red one.

I'm guessing the two with pea combs and the Barred Rock are three of the "Adopt Me" four.

Good eye! I didn't even look at the combs because my glasses are in the car. Just looked at the choices OP offered and the chicks' coloring. But if the combs are peas, that opens up the possibilities. I'll have to look at photos tomorrow with my glasses on... not getting them now! 😂

Love cell phones... expanded photos and I can see! I was on laptop earlier. Def pea combs on a couple of them...and I see buff/reddish wings on lightest chick so not a leghorn. Keep us updated with pics!

I'll update them again in a week! Thank you for your thoughts! I didn't even consider the breeds that Meyer's Hatchery marks with the leg bands because none of mine arrived with them. But the different combs are definitely a big indicator that I didn't even think about. Granted, I'm so new at the details part of chickens that I'm not surprised I didn't notice. I'm loving seeing how they are all developing though!

I didn't even consider the breeds that Meyer's Hatchery marks with the leg bands because none of mine arrived with them.

They leg band them if they know what kind they are.

But you got the "Adopt Me" special, which it says are the chicks they pull out of the incubators late, so they may not be keeping track of which kinds for those.

If you got a red meat bird it's probably a red ranger. They grow slower than cornishX at 10 weeks. We've got about 100 of them right now.

Yeah...still thinking ranger for the red bird. Looked up the meat birds that hatchery offers and that's the only one that makes sense. But I reread your OP and now see where I misread... only one of your birds is the guaranteed production and I agree that's your BR. So the rest... time will tell! Excited to see how they progress!

Back
Top Bottom