Almost ready to re-up the Cayugas

I was told to introduce myself, so I am. I'm Sarah, in Tacoma, WA. I had and loved 2 small flocks of Black Cayugas and some Welsh Harlequins. Against the wishes of family and friends, I am considering getting some again. I miss duck eggs and can't find them in any stores since Covid. And I don't MIND the getting up and changing water at 5 AM in the winter. Just changing their habitat so my new, prey-driven dog won't scare them. I've used BackYard Chickens for advice and ideas for years now, but joined so I could answer somebody else's questions. This is the best forum.
Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome, Sarah! I’m new to ducks and Cayugas, but if you have a fondness for them and experience, go for it! Cayugas are threatened and once a breed is lost, it’s gone forever. I love the ducks and ordered from Metzer, with life insurance thankfully, I’ve had to replace most of them twice now (shipping death and snake in the barn deaths 😡). I have had heritage turkeys for a year and a half now and ordered a pair of Pilgrim geese with the last round of duckies.
Plan on a good year to establish your flock and find a support network-this is a good one but a local group helps as well.

Back
Top Bottom