Alternatives to cattle panels/hardware cloth.

Wondering how big of an issue mice or snakes really are...I don't know that anything will really keep them out.
Mice are more of a pest than predator. They will eat the feed, which is where certain types of feeders are valuable. Not sure if they can spread disease. Snakes are variable. Generally, smaller snakes are less of a risk, but even ones that can get through 1" fencing can be problematic.

Definitely check local hardware stores. Usually, you can shop/preview them online before driving over. These materials are heavy/bulky and those items are often more expensive via Amazon.

Definitely check local hardware stores. Usually, you can shop/preview them online before driving over. These materials are heavy/bulky and those items are often more expensive via Amazon.
Strangely enough, hardware cloth is substantially cheaper on Amazon! Like $50+ less for 100 foot roll. Our local Tractor Supply only had 10' rolls in stock. We don't have any other big box stores closer than an hour away and with gas prices that takes a lot of the discount away.

Hmmm... I haven't seen farm supply stores as a great solution for fencing, but Lowes, Home Depot, etc. generally are much better. That's where shopping online first comes in handy.

I think this whole issue is becoming academic. After much discussion, we may be waiting until next year for chickens. :hit It's just become overwhelming.

All I wanted was a little coop from TS and 4 hens. That wasnt good enough, so that became a simple A-frame, which also wasn't good enough, and became remodeling the shed...which became building a hoop coop...which became... God knows.... but my husband is tired of thinking about it and listening to me add up the materials cost and I don't blame him.

I'm just sad.

I think this whole issue is becoming academic. After much discussion, we may be waiting until next year for chickens. :hit It's just become overwhelming.

All I wanted was a little coop from TS and 4 hens. That wasnt good enough, so that became a simple A-frame, which also wasn't good enough, and became remodeling the shed...which became building a hoop coop...which became... God knows.... but my husband is tired of thinking about it and listening to me add up the materials cost and I don't blame him.

I'm just sad.
Keeping chickens is easy.
Unfortunately setting up secure housing is neither easy nor cheap nor fast.
Absorbing all the info is like getting a sip of water out of a fire hose.
I spent a good 6 months figuring out what to build and how to build it,
and I designed manufacturing equipment for a living.

Keeping chickens is easy.
Unfortunately setting up secure housing is neither easy nor cheap nor fast.
x2 - Buying the actual chickens is the cheapest part of this. Keeping them alive and healthy is the harder part. It's an old joke on here that your first egg will cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars (depending on your set up).

Back
Top Bottom