ALUMINUM TRASH CANS FOR FEED STORAGE

I have used an aluminum can once, hated it and am never going back. That thing sweats like crazy!!! The inside was almost always damp with condensation. Lucky I had my feed in its original bags, closed tight with clips, so the feed didn't get ruined, but it was a matter of time. I got tired of wiping the inside and retired the metal bin. Now I store my feed in the basement of the house, where the temperature is stable, so no temperature swings and sweating. I keep the feed in 5-gallon buckets (food grade plastic). I buy one bag at a time and it lasts me about a month. Haven't had rodent issues yet, though we do occasionally see them around the house (the cat helps with that when it happens). Plastic isn't rodent-proof, but being inside the house lowers the risk dramatically. This may not work with a larger flock and larger quantities of feed, but with my one bag at a time for a small 8-chicken flock, it works fine.

I use Behrens 20 gallon galvanized steel cans. They each hold a 50 lb bag of feed.

To get the bag and all into the can, lay the can on its side and slide the bag in part way. Then tilt the can upright and the bag will slide in the rest of the way ad conform to the shape of the can. However, it's easier to scoop out feed without having the bag inside the can.

If a metal can was going to be toxic it would be the galvanized steel, not the aluminum. I wouldn't worry about either one though.

I've been pouring feed directory into metal (galvanized) trash cans that sit outside for about 20 years. Crimp the lids lips a little on each side with pliers so it clicks when you push down. A little silicone where the handle goes through. Almost every year they go through hurricanes and I've never had any discernable problems

Last edited:
Thank you everyone that replied, you all have been so helpful.😊
I managed to get 2 unopened 50 lb bags of feed into each of the 31 gallon cans. Moved them to the shady side of the house so they would not be in direct sunlight. They are the Behrens brand so the lids snap on. Closest thing we have to raccoons here are mongoose and they can not really open anything.

Did not hear a thing last night up in the attack, neither rats nor traps going off, so maybe it was just the one pair up there.🤞

Back
Top Bottom