Am I a Bad Chicken Mom?

Dandelion007

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
Durant, OK
I'm on day 3 of my first incubation. I have two accurite temperature gauges. One stays between 99 & 101 and the other stays between 100 & 102. I've been keeping the humidity on the underside of 50%. Last night, they were on their colder temps so I put covered up the air hole and turned up my house temp. I woke this morning with the higher temp on 104! I took the top off to get the temp down. Are my babies going to die???

I went ahead and candled them. (I figure it's a little premature but I'm really curious if I'm doing all the work for a good reason.) I have 7 Buttercup eggs and I could see a little dark area in 6 of them. One looked like the bacteria examples I have seen. I have 5 Yokohama eggs and I didn't see anything on any of them. I do know they take a little longer to mature so I'm giving them a break right now.

Will 104 degrees kill the embryos???

I have had temp spikes of 106! All was well. Still had a great hatch. You're babies should be fine. Let us know how they're doin in a few days after you candle them again.

I think 107 is the max though....i was so mad because mine were on day 21 and when i checked the temp it was 107 and i lost them...i was so angry with myself...so i think as long as they dont stay at a high temp (under 104) for to long they should be fine...i have also had other ones reach 104 and they are still alive. they hatch on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom