am i a roo?

Fancychickgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Turner, ME
Picked out 10 babies from the bantam tub at TSC. Not sure what breed or gender is. any help would be appreciated.

55695_img_6734.jpg

55695_img_6731.jpg

55695_img_6730.jpg

55695_img_6729.jpg

I'm not real familiar with that breed but by the comb and how it looks like it stands I would tend to think it's a roo. My experience with the roos is that they will be a bit more outgoing than pullets. Cockerels will approach you more readily than a pullet and if you stand and just observe their interactions with the other chicks you can many times catch them acting more like a roo.

How old is this little guy/gal? Is this the only one you are having trouble with? Sometimes comparing similar chicks the same age together can help you decide which is what.

I really don't know bantams but the color looks like silver duckwing. I thought when I saw the first photo it was a rose or walnut but then maybe straight in the last one. Can you tell us what it is?

Definite male. He's a silver duckwing colored male - Meaning he'll have a black breast as seen, and black and white markings throughout his body. Also, his comb screams male.
wink.png

Quote:
He is 4 weeks, and i do not have another one to compare him too. I am thinking he is a roo, as today it looks more pink than orange. only time will tell for sure.

Quote:
I would go with Illia's judgment on his sex based on his color. I could tell he was a silver duckwing color, I just have never had one so I didn't know how they feather out. The question is what breed is he and thats where the comb question came in.

Back
Top Bottom