Am I a weenie for being afraid of my own rooster? Help please.

Quote:
OK,..We know it's not funny that your son was frightened or almost attacked,.. or that your roo was knocked unconscious,..
but we laughed so hard when we thought about what that rooster thought when he came to,.. he must think your son has a secret weapon!
lau.gif

I don't think you're a weenie! If you do end up having to cull this Rooster, I highly recommend GritStar's techniques. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4810 I've used this method with my Rooster, and so far so good!! I truly believe that it's all about "speaking rooster". I feel like Caesar Millan!! lol Only with chickens. If you haven't culled (I haven't finshed reading through the thread) I'd say to try these techniques BEFORE you resort to a cull. It's true, there ARE nice roosters out there, looking for a home, but IMO, it seems irresponsible not to at least TRY to re train the rooster you have. If you don't change the way you approach your roosters, you'll only end up with a "nice" rooster turned "bad" because it doesn't see you as the dominant Roo, and you'll be right back where you started. With TWO dead roosters. At least give it a shot?

Quote:
Umm... It doesn't really matter now. Our dogs got into the area where the chickens are and took the lives of the roo and our 2 RIRs.
But we did go out and we bought a cochin roo and cochin hens :)
And my mother got someone to fix and reinforce the area. We did some cautionary measures and clipped the wings of our remaining hens. As for the little
cochin chickies, we are keeping them seperate from the bigger girls. We tried introducing the little roo to one of them... And she pecked at him
hmm.png

No damage though, but one day they'll get bigger and the other girls won't mess with him again :]

I have two cochin roos and they are great. For some reason it seems that RIR roos are the worst! I had two and they came to an untimely end when they chased my wife down the drive way!
lol.png
She called me from the truck screaming! I thought she was crazy until they chased me!

Quote:
Umm... It doesn't really matter now. Our dogs got into the area where the chickens are and took the lives of the roo and our 2 RIRs.
But we did go out and we bought a cochin roo and cochin hens :)
And my mother got someone to fix and reinforce the area. We did some cautionary measures and clipped the wings of our remaining hens. As for the little
cochin chickies, we are keeping them seperate from the bigger girls. We tried introducing the little roo to one of them... And she pecked at him
hmm.png

No damage though, but one day they'll get bigger and the other girls won't mess with him again :]

I'm sorry. Good luck with your cochin boy.

Someone posted a great thread last week about Thor and Zeus. Put it in the search and see what you find. He was able to calm his Alpha roo down and make him into a much better chicken. It took 2 wks but he said it worked.

Some great info has been posted here.

There are ways to tame a mean roo, yes, but more often than not, they don't work. From reading on here, I would say that if one or two strong efforts to tame him don't work, it is not worth the effort.

BTW, while there are certainly breeds that tend to be meaner, or not mean, you can get either a mean or a very gentle roo in most any breed. It is an individual thing.

You can even get hens that are about as mean as a roo, and some hens grow enough of a spur to cause injury. Again, it's an individual thing.

Good luck.

I have grandkids. Around here, one attack is all they get, then it is freezer time. We grow for meat and eggs anyway.

my roos are not quite old enough to come into thier own yet but I did have one at 8 weeks stomp at me when I went into the coop. I went after him picked him up and carried him around under my arm for awhile He never did that again. The 2 we have now are 13 weeks they pretty much avoid me except to get treats. They are BR so I hope they stay that way. My neighbor has an americauna bantam. hes a mean s*** tried to spur me one day. I smacked him on the head now he avoids me. Will even let me pick him up to put him back in their run if he gets out. He chases her son and he is in his 20's

once I kicked at a rooster and he didn't back down. He knocked me down in the mud and kept jumping at me. Three or four times I kicked him across the yard. He wouldn't give up.

Back
Top Bottom