Am I male or female?

bsides

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 18, 2014
I have a 2 year old Polish hen, Lucy. A few months back (before her last hard molt) she quit laying. She grew spurs and she has become a bit more dominant. No crowing though. I had read that hens can change gender. Yea, funny since gender issues seem to be a main news topic. She is my only Polish; her sister passed about a year ago so she's kinda been a loner since then. I love this chicken, but she no longer lays eggs. I have 2 young adult roo's that are smaller in size and they seem to think she is still a female. So, any ideas on if she will start laying again? She has no health issues that have presented. I am totally baffled.

I have a 2 year old Polish hen, Lucy. A few months back (before her last hard molt) she quit laying. She grew spurs and she has become a bit more dominant. No crowing though. I had read that hens can change gender. Yea, funny since gender issues seem to be a main news topic. She is my only Polish; her sister passed about a year ago so she's kinda been a loner since then. I love this chicken, but she no longer lays eggs. I have 2 young adult roo's that are smaller in size and they seem to think she is still a female. So, any ideas on if she will start laying again? She has no health issues that have presented. I am totally baffled.
Im friends with a chicken who is the same way. Egg laying may be a non-contributing factor to her spurs and such. My neighbors chicken is almost exactly like a rooster but lays eggs, etc. this really doesn’t change them anymore than their looks and some behavior. For egg laying, I’ve really never seen it hinder them in any way in means of egg production. Has she ever stopped laying before? Is she a seasonal layer? I have chickens who won’t lay the moment it gets a little chilly and pick right have up when it’s warm!

Back
Top Bottom