Amateur Radio

Well, I'm gonna try for as many as they will allow. Heck, I might even ask if I can 'cold turkey' try the ... ---

It's been a bunch of years since I read and self-tested in the actual books before they pulled the Morse from the beginners test.

It's so frustrating to realize it's been 35+ years since I first learned of it and then our 5th grade teacher summarily decided he wasn't gonna teach us, as well as help us get tested before he retired from teaching at the end of that school year.

Life happens....

DH has all the licenses, DS has the general one. I'm smack in the middle. I don't need to go higher.

We have a station room in the house. It's purdy. LOL. Being a meteorologist I train spotters, and now I don't have to leave home to report too. DH used to do emergency communications, so there that reason. DS did it for Scouts.

We occasionally do work for local events, and scouts of course. We used to live 15 miles from Hamvention. That was awesome.

We live on a sizable hill here. We have instructed 360° view of weather for ~15-50 mile range depends on cloud tops & wind patterns too.
Us too. Highest hill in the county in Flatland Nebraska. Visibility was one of the selling points for the house. LOL. Downside, the well is stupid deep, and the wind...OMG. We have a large vertical antenna due to our winds and ice loads and large hail. It is not uncommon for us to go over 60 mph several times a year. And hail.....big hail country. (separate insurance policies for hail on everything. bleh)

Us too. Highest hill in the county in Flatland Nebraska. Visibility was one of the selling points for the house. LOL. Downside, the well is stupid deep, and the wind...OMG. We have a large vertical antenna due to our winds and ice loads and large hail. It is not uncommon for us to go over 60 mph several times a year. And hail.....big hail country. (separate insurance policies for hail on everything. bleh)
Winds. Ohhhh do I Soooo know what you mean.....
Kinda went into some detail on our build the coop thread this springs "every Sunday" storm that rolled down i-35 and hot us with sustained winds of 50+ and gusts 65+... I caught video of our neighbors carport rolling over and almost landing on the propane tank and the work truck.... Flipping the bass boat and the elivated hunting blind like chopstix!

Winds. Ohhhh do I Soooo know what you mean.....
Kinda went into some detail on our build the coop thread this springs "every Sunday" storm that rolled down i-35 and hot us with sustained winds of 50+ and gusts 65+... I caught video of our neighbors carport rolling over and almost landing on the propane tank and the work truck.... Flipping the bass boat and the elivated hunting blind like chopstix!
LOL. It's so frequent here the nothing would be left out or unsecured to be allowed to fly. There are many days when the governor on the turbines works overtime, or just shuts them down altogether to protect the machinery. Yesterday we had 40 mph sustained and gusts to 59. Today isn't as bad...in the 20s, which is a normal day, with gusts into the 30s. Make for brutal, but normal, windchills of -25. Sounds miserable, but we're used to it.

NW NorthDakota was worse but by the end we were used to that too. We would have retired up there had the oil boom not ruined the area. The growing season was too short anyway for what I wanted.

Out our back windows our neighbors have a small wind turbine (blades radius is ~4-5 ft at the most). That think is spinning 26-28 days out of the month over the last 10 years. It's so rare to see it still that it's caused me to triple-take and then pop open either the radar or WX-underground apps to see what's brewing out towards the usual dry line west of us.....

Just a lowly Cb'er here. 517 Mississippi gulf coast, 73s JPEG_20200522_083147_1294763593.jpg

Back
Top Bottom