Ameracauna-Am I a Rooster?

EggithaChristie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Western Washington

The Feed Store said it's a pullet when we purchased the Ameracauna as a 1 Day old Chick. At 10 weeks old, I'm wondering if we have a rooster on our hands. It's too pretty compared to the other Ameracaunas, We aren't allowed to have roosters in our town so I will be sad to lose this gorgeous bird if it turns out to be a boy!

The Feed Store said it's a pullet when we purchased the Ameracauna as a 1 Day old Chick. At 10 weeks old, I'm wondering if we have a rooster on our hands. It's too pretty compared to the other Ameracaunas, We aren't allowed to have roosters in our town so I will be sad to lose this gorgeous bird if it turns out to be a boy!
im saying hen only one row of peas.

That's not an Ameraucana, it's an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas have pea combs and don't come in that color. It could be a pullet--hard to tell. At about 10 weeks is when cockerels will begin crowing. Listen for that. Also, look under its back feathers, a little less than halfway up its back from its rump. Do you see thin feathers with slightly different coloring coming in? Those will be saddle feathers. If you don't see any, likely it's a pullet. Or they haven't started developing yet. My 10 and 11 week old cockerels all have the beginnings of saddle feathers so you should see them any time.

[edited for typo]

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but it does look kinda roosterish...:oops:

And also if you got it at the feed store it is not an ameraucana, it is an Easter egger :) true ameraucanas are pretty hard to find. And many feed stores get their chicks from hatcheries (who call their EE's ameraucanas...so it is confusing!) ;)

That's not an Ameraucana, it's an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas have pea combs and don't come in that color. It could be a pullet--hard to tell. At about 10 weeks is when cockerels will begin crowing. Listen for that. Also, look under its back feathers, a little less than halfway up its back from its rump. Do you see thin feathers with slightly different coloring coming in? Those will be saddle feathers. If you don't see any, likely it's a pullet. Or they haven't started developing yet. My 10 and 11 week old cockerels all have the beginnings of saddle feathers so you should see them any time.

[edited for typo]
It has pretty bluish green feathers on the tail, is that what you mean? Are the Ameraucanas that different than EE's that they'd have different looks in gender presentation?

No, the saddle feathers are on their backs and I'm pretty sure all male chickens have them. Oh, you know, Sebright bantam males don't have them. Look under its back feathers. I am seeing what might be sickle feathers there, though. Sickle feathers are the long tail feathers that curve down.

I got these two at the same time as the bird in question. They have different combs than the white one, which is why I wondered about the gender. They are all supposed to be "Ameracaunas." If they are just EEs I don't care. I just want eggs, not a show quality chicken ;)

Last edited:

I've never seen am EE pullets with plumage that color, so I'm going to have to say male.

Back
Top Bottom