What gender? Is there even 1 rooster? :)

SapphireMum

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
NCentral TX (DFW)
Hi, we are first time chicken owners. We were finally able to get chickens after years of thinking & planning (but life had other plans).

Our city (in the Dallas area) allows 24 hens and 1 rooster (great, eh??). We'd like to keep maybe 8-10 hens and we do want that one rooster. Now we are trying to find out if any of ours our roosters, and if not we'd like to add a rooster to the flock while they are still young (8-11 weeks old).

Our first purchase of baby chicks was at a random feed store a ways out in the country. They were straight run & didn't even say which breed, but we took the plunge. After much research we believe we have: 2 Buff Orpingtons, a Golden Laced Cochin, a Silver Laced Cochin, and a Partridge Cochin.

One of the 6 original chics died within a week (yolk sac infection) so I picked up a baby chick at a local feed store. They said they were all Easter Egger pullets. She does look like a hen, but we want to make sure.

A few days later I started thinking, what if several end up being roosters? So I ordered 3 more females from MyPetChicken: Cream Legbar, Splash Orpington, Dark Brahma. I'll add those pics later bc they are only 8 weeks old & they are more skiddish, harder to get pics (maybe bc they went outside at a younger age - the others were handled a lot more as chicks bc they were in a brooder inside house).

First are pics of the Buff Orpingtons, at 11 weeks old. They look very alike to me, but here one is on a branch & the other is on the run floor.
We think both are hens bc they don't have very pronounced waddles/ combs & those are pale. (and btw, as new chicks one had long, pointy wings while the other had shorter wings, not pointy)
EDIT: Oops, the first 2 are pics of one BO, & the other BO is in the last 2 pics

Next pics are the 3 Cochins, at 11 weeks old. (3 of the golden, 2 of the silver, 2 of the partridge).

Last pic is the Easter Egger, at 10 weeks old.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

Attachments

• Buff 1 at 11 weeks.jpg
    Buff 1 at 11 weeks.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Buff 1 at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    Buff 1 at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Cochin golden laced at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    Cochin golden laced at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 43
  • Cochin Golden laced at 11 weeks.jpg
    Cochin Golden laced at 11 weeks.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Cochin Golden laced at 11 weeks #3.png
    Cochin Golden laced at 11 weeks #3.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Cochin Silver laced at 11 weeks.jpg
    Cochin Silver laced at 11 weeks.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 37
  • Cochin Silver Laced at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    Cochin Silver Laced at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Cochin Partridge at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    Cochin Partridge at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Cochin Partridge at 11 weeks #3.jpg
    Cochin Partridge at 11 weeks #3.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Easter egger at 10 weeks #3.jpg
    Easter egger at 10 weeks #3.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Buff 2 at 11 weeks.jpg
    Buff 2 at 11 weeks.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Buff 2 at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    Buff 2 at 11 weeks #2.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thank you both for your helpful responses!

We were thinking they are all pullets.

I will add pics of the 3 younger chickens (8 weeks old). Those were all purchased as day old females, but we'll see!

EDIT: Here are the photos of those 3. The pic titles say which breed. If more than one, the file name is for those pictured left to right.

Attachments

• Splash Orpington & creamy legbar at 8 weeks.jpg
    Splash Orpington & creamy legbar at 8 weeks.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Splash Orpington at 8 weeks.jpg
    Splash Orpington at 8 weeks.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Cream legbar at 8 weeks #2.jpg
    Cream legbar at 8 weeks #2.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Brahma at 8 weeks.jpg
    Brahma at 8 weeks.jpg