Ameraucana chickens

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
I bought these two as day old chicks from a feed store and they advertised them as ameraucana's but I caught a glimpse of the order sheet and it definitely said easter eggers. I asked the gentleman if they were true ameraucana's or EE and he swore up and down they were true and the hatchery justvuses that term. I wasn't born yesterday and just decided easter eggers were better than having no chance at blue eggs. Anyway, I realize they're EE's which means there's a chance they'll have blue, green, or pinkish brown eggs. Somewhere I read that if an EE has a pea comb and not a straight comb they're more likely to lay blue or green eggs.. however I can't for the life of me tell if these guys have pea combs or not. I think they do, but would really appreciate any feedback someone who knows better than I might have. Any ideas?
20200326_095103.jpg
20200326_095117.jpg
20200326_095122.jpg
20200326_095127.jpg

I bought these two as day old chicks from a feed store and they advertised them as ameraucana's but I caught a glimpse of the order sheet and it definitely said easter eggers. I asked the gentleman if they were true ameraucana's or EE and he swore up and down they were true and the hatchery justvuses that term. I wasn't born yesterday and just decided easter eggers were better than having no chance at blue eggs. Anyway, I realize they're EE's which means there's a chance they'll have blue, green, or pinkish brown eggs. Somewhere I read that if an EE has a pea comb and not a straight comb they're more likely to lay blue or green eggs.. however I can't for the life of me tell if these guys have pea combs or not. I think they do, but would really appreciate any feedback someone who knows better than I might have. Any ideas? View attachment 2063216View attachment 2063217View attachment 2063218View attachment 2063220
It's true those are lovely EE with pea combs. Even if the hatchery alleges to have pure Ameraucana and "breeding to show the wide variety of colors they come in... NOT for show or 4H"

Most feed store employees and even owners in some cases really DON'T get it. :he

True Ameraucana will ALWAYS be sold under their color variety... (go figure all the wide variety of colors that are available when you DO breed to the SOP :rolleyes:).. black, blue, buff, wheaten, white, etc! They will also NOT be in the $5 price range. Many folks don't realize it either but even Ameraucana can lay greenish eggs per the standard color scale..
1585266693264.png

While I've also heard the straight verses pea equaling brown or blue... Cream Legbar has straight comb and lays only blue eggs. So there *may* be some indicator... but consider it unreliable... as EE have NO SOP they can have any comb type, bearded or not.

Some hatcheries including Cackle, My Pet Chicken, and couple more are selling true Ameraucana.

The main difference really... might be skin color, shank color, feather pattern... (so basically everything) :oops:...

Anyways... I breed bantam Ameraucana and have always had EE in my flock (no brown eggs from them yet) cuz their just such interesting birds. I would love to see a full body pic of your lovely ladies unique patterns! :pop

I totally realize they would most likely not be real ameraucana's when I went in. I really wanted to mail order some pure ones but live in hawaii and it's a bit of a hassle so I settled for Easter eggers (even though the owner assured me they were pure amarauca 😂 I wasn't too concerned really). I did get them for blue or green eggs so fingers crossed for that gene to be dominant. I'm thinking I should pick up some cream legbars as there's more of a guarentee for those lovely blue eggs. I'll try to coax these ladies from under our shed. They like to hide out there during the warmest part of the day

Back
Top Bottom