Ameraucana Cockerel or pullet?

SelbergsClucker

Hatching
Jul 1, 2015
West Fargo, ND
Like everyone else we are hoping this is a pullet. "It" is 8 weeks old it is in a pen with 2 cockerels and one pullet (orpingtons). It is one week younger than the other birds. Since it is at the bottom of the pecking order its behavior doesn't help with the identification. This is our first flock so we have no experience.

That is an awful red comb for a pullet.
duc.gif

Those can be tricky but looks like a hen to me. If it's in with other roo's you'd probably have noticed them puffing up their hackles at each other and sparring, even if this one is the bottom rung.

Looks like a pullet for now. Even though being small with a dark comb, usually there is much more development in the comb by this age. Even my lavender boys have a comb by this age.

Last edited:
I'm thinking cockerel. At this age, comb is pretty much going to be your only sign, it's too young for cockerel behaviors or sex feathers. A close up comb shot would clear things up, the best pic I could see sure looked like a red three row.

Thanks for all of the input. I know the kids are rooting for another girl. We found a home for the Roos - we just don't know if we should send this one with the other 2. Here is the best picture I can get of the comb. If we can't figure it out we will keep this one until we know for sure. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom