Ameraucana genetics question

2. 2nd pic is the same chick just after hatch 3rd pic is today at almost 4 weeks old. I was told she is pure Ameraucana where here other 2 hatch mates only share her dad. Do you think this is true? She did hatch from a blue egg.

I see yellow on her legs. With yellow skin over slate (blue/gray), that makes green legs. They will likely show better as she grows. So, I would say, half Ameraucana.

I see yellow on her legs. With yellow skin over slate (blue/gray), that makes green legs. They will likely show better as she grows. So, I would say, half Ameraucana.
That is interesting. I was to the Ameraucana club page and the chipmunk chicks they were showing for silver all had yellow legs at day old like mine did. Hers are turning and in person are more gray-green right now at 4 weeks. She will not let me catch her to get a better pic ...sigh.... I'll keep trying!

That is interesting. I was to the Ameraucana club page and the chipmunk chicks they were showing for silver all had yellow legs at day old like mine did. Hers are turning and in person are more gray-green right now at 4 weeks. She will not let me catch her to get a better pic ...sigh.... I'll keep trying!
Newly hatched chicks have yellow/orange legs regardless of if they have a yellow skin gene. Frustrating for me when I need to select for white skin in my cuckoo d’Anvers project.

I totally agree with @Amer , they can hatch with yellow *looking* feet... but the yellow I've gotten used to spotting on our Mosaics, the kind that sticks around, looks like a surface pigment. It has a shine to it. I don't want green legs in the Mosaics so I've been trying to breed away from it too. It's recessive though.

20231001_154817.jpg

I totally agree with @Amer , they can hatch with yellow *looking* feet... but the yellow I've gotten used to spotting on our Mosaics, the kind that sticks around, looks like a surface pigment. It has a shine to it. I don't want green legs in the Mosaics so I've been trying to breed away from it too. It's recessive though.

View attachment 3671379
Not Sure if you can see it in the photo I got today. But her skin looks white. I marked a spot that is bare of feathers right now, its small. Under her wing is white, but she would not let me take a pic... being prudish lol. Her muffs and bread feathers are starting to show, they are so tiny they're cute!

Attachments

• 20231030_135851.jpg
    20231030_135851.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 9
Not Sure if you can see it in the photo I got today. But her skin looks white. I marked a spot that is bare of feathers right now, its small. Under her wing is white, but she would not let me take a pic... being prudish lol. Her muffs and bread feathers are starting to show, they are so tiny they're cute!

That's her earlobe. In Ameraucanas the earlobe should be red. She is very cute!

Actually, Ameraucanas should have pale earlobes, but the earlobe color in Ameraucanas doesn’t matter because you shouldn’t see them, anyway. Nobody has selected Ameraucanas based on lobe color.

Hmm... I've read red, in several places. But I don't have access to the SOP, do you have it?

Back
Top Bottom