Ameraucana genetics question

Hmm... I've read red, in several places. But I don't have access to the SOP, do you have it?
I've got the standard. Amer is correct, although red earlobes isn't too far off. The SOP calls for red combs and earlobes in males, although states female earlobes should be pale. The earlobes should be hidden or small enough to be hard to spot behind the beard, so I now realize it's an easily overlookable trait, so long as breeders see that the beard covers the earlobes anyways.

Thank you @Amer for pointing that small trait out.

Hmm... I've read red, in several places. But I don't have access to the SOP, do you have it?
I used to own Ameraucanas, too, hence my username. But again, earlobe color doesn’t matter. Seeing the earlobes is the problem—if I can see my d’Anvers’ earlobes it means they are missing a lot of beard, lol.
3B8DD8D2-F97E-4BF5-B6CE-FDFD57CA5707.jpeg

I used to own Ameraucanas, too, hence my username. But again, earlobe color doesn’t matter. Seeing the earlobes is the problem—if I can see my d’Anvers’ earlobes it means they are missing a lot of beard, lol.View attachment 3672184

Interesting! I notice this is under the Silver heading... is it particular to specific colors? Does it say the same about Blacks and its dilutes?

All breeds have a consistent earlobe color across all varieties.
I didn't know how to tag you to ask a question.
Ameraucana tail feather length is it longer than most other birds? I ask because the chick in question has tail about 3 to 4 inches long where the other 2 have tails about 1 inch long all with the same dad possible back crossing with dad going back.
She (till I know otherwise) looks like a white headed hawk with her coloring.

Ameraucana tail feather length is it longer than most other birds? I ask because the chick in question has tail about 3 to 4 inches long where the other 2 have tails about 1 inch long all with the same dad possible back crossing with dad going back.
If you ask me the tails kinda look like a shorter more upangled sumatra tail.

Not necessarily, but I don’t think it is an Ameraucana since it appears to have greenish legs.

All breeds have a consistent earlobe color across all varieties.

Okay, I didn't think so originally but wondered because @I Like Turkeys said the males are supposed to be red and females pale. Which could be "pale red" aka lack of testosterone , or I thought perhaps with your addition of plumage specific SOP it might be one of those genes affected by feather color. Thank you guys for answering my question! :D

Ameraucana tail feather length is it longer than most other birds? I ask because the chick in question has tail about 3 to 4 inches long where the other 2 have tails about 1 inch long

It's variable. I have chicks that have different tail lengths at different ages. The stages of growth are not the same between individuals unless there's a very high degree of inbreeding. Often you don't know for sure until they get their adult feathers.

Tails are something I've been focusing on with mine because I have a type I really like (more fanned and full looking, which may or may not be to standard) and one of the original roosters passed down a longer tail... offspring that take after him often look almost like little Sumatras for a short while, then it comes back towards normal as they grow into them. Ameraucana do have Sumatra blood back there, and honestly I wouldn't mind a really long tail to show up for a project 😁

Back
Top Bottom