Ameraucana genetics question

So, I finished out reading the breeding and genetic forum from Ameraucana Alliance and wow. I really wish the APA and ABA would be on board with what the founders of the Ameraucana wanted. They and some othere breeders of different breeds brought up accepting all the colors and patterns that have been established in chickens for all breeds. Was intresting that our founders think that way. Lol I joined the club after that.

I recommend anyone seriously into breeding Ameraucana to check that fourm out.
Isn’t it an amazing wealth of information?? I go there all the time!

It's brought me to the realization I need to cut back on somethings. As much as I don't want to let somethings go I really, really need to. So I think, no I am going to sell the cochins I have. Maybe all the bantams I currently have. I need silver Ameraucana for want I want to do.

I just counted what I have currently. The estimate is probably at 70 to 80 birds with the chicks I have right now added in.

Still getting the English Orpingtons from Colt but I'm going to have to sell some of them as well. Focuse is sliding to Ameraucana bantams and LF in Dustys color and Chamois Spitzhauben. With a side of Polish bantam.

I'll keep the best rosecombs I get from my hatch and they will be with the Sebrights. Have to have something for the lone RIR bantam my friend wants me to keep.

Still want to keep my other project going of making long tailed, crested EEs.

Side note: ADHD makes it seam like it can be done all at once but that's very much not true. Lol.

So, I finished out reading the breeding and genetic forum from Ameraucana Alliance and wow. I really wish the APA and ABA would be on board with what the founders of the Ameraucana wanted. They and some othere breeders of different breeds brought up accepting all the colors and patterns that have been established in chickens for all breeds. Was intresting that our founders think that way. Lol I joined the club after that.

Cool idea, but IMO it would destroy a lot of the original varieties, and breeders would be so divided by trying to introduce new varieties or work on different varieties that they wouldn't be able to work together and improve the breed. The more varieties there are, the more likely it is that a variety goes extinct or is poor in quality. The Ameraucana can only handle as many varieties as it has because it is so popular. But can you imagine if blue wheaten fell to the wayside because everyone had a different color project?

Cool idea, but IMO it would destroy a lot of the original varieties, and breeders would be so divided by trying to introduce new varieties or work on different varieties that they wouldn't be able to work together and improve the breed. The more varieties there are, the more likely it is that a variety goes extinct or is poor in quality. The Ameraucana can only handle as many varieties as it has because it is so popular. But can you imagine if blue wheaten fell to the wayside because everyone had a different color project?
I already see that coming for the brown red. So I don't think it would destroy them at and it might even help preserve the ones that don't get shown and are taken off the books. We also already have issues with fad colors despite them not being SOP. Look at English Orpingtons and other breeds. If you can find alpt of very good SOP birds but they have the wrong paint on the barn. It's supposed to be about the frame and body and not the paint. Accepting all the paint means more focuse on the frame/body type. As long as that's intact you can color it in what ever true or 50% true breeding colors you want.

It's strange that I'm able to show my lavenders but they still are not accepted as a breed.

I already see that coming for the brown red. So I don't think it would destroy them at and it might even help preserve the ones that don't get shown and are taken off the books. We also already have issues with fad colors despite them not being SOP. Look at English Orpingtons and other breeds. If you can find alpt of very good SOP birds but they have the wrong paint on the barn. It's supposed to be about the frame and body and not the paint. Accepting all the paint means more focuse on the frame/body type. As long as that's intact you can color it in what ever true or 50% true breeding colors you want.
I totally disagree but I respect you and you are entitled to your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom