Ameraucana male or female?

g2smil

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Northern Virginia
Hey All,

Here's a picture of my ameraucana. She/He was born around April and hasn't started crowing or laying eggs yet. I'm afraid she/he is a male.... What do you think?

That's a Barnyard Special chicken. I'm leaning towards roo, but better pics would help.

Hmm weird. The breeder told me he/she was an Ameraucana. Here's two more photos. Any idea on the sex?

Last edited:
Looks like a cockerel to me,but is not full ameraucana thats for sure,maybe a mix.BTW He is handsome! :)

Last edited:
my guess is a cockerel. it might have ameraucana some wheres in its background but that seems to be a bit back there it doesnt even have a beard. over all hes a mix

That was no breeder, sorry. It was a propagator.

That isn't remotely like an Ameraucana, which have muffs, beard and pea comb, plus come in only 8 accepted standard colors. It doesn't even resemble most Easter Eggers, either. I agree that it's a barnyard mix.

Below is an Ameraucana from a breeder. Her color is splash. Nothing like that bird you showed in any way.

Last edited:
That was no breeder, sorry. It was a propagator.

That isn't remotely like an Ameraucana, which have muffs, beard and pea comb, plus come in only 8 accepted standard colors. It doesn't even resemble most Easter Eggers, either. I agree that it's a barnyard mix.

Below is an Ameraucana from a breeder. She is a splash color-see? Nothing like that bird you showed in any way.

I agree! People do that just to make a extra buck.anyway though he is very pretty mix! :)

Back
Top Bottom