Ameraucana Projects Thread

Well I am going to jump in here with both feet. I have had Ameraucanas for almost 2 years now and just started researching what I want to do as far as a project. Here is the roo I am starting with. I have my Blue Wheaten Dbl tufted roo below... 1 Lavender, dbl tufted and a beautiful white who has taken ribbons at both shows she was entered in. So...Any suggestions??

Harry...I am curious what you think about my roo.

Pansy..my lavender

Snow tends to be a bit camera shy....though she follows on my heels otherwise.

Well....that is my little group thus far..I had others but they just where not the quality I needed to work with.
Thanks!
TNBarnQueen- What project do you want to start? There are a bunch genetics geeks
cool.png
....I mean guru's here, myself included, that can help you out. A couple pointers, ameraucana's don't have tufts...those would be araucanas, which are also a tailless bird. Ameraucana's have beards and muffs. Your first photo is of a splash (wheaten), and the second looks to be a blue hen not lavender.

Here is a late hatch out of my barred/cuckoo project late august hatch.Can't say for sure which cuckoo hen he is from but the cock was barred with slate legs.Early may hatch.His legs turned spotted after 5 months.I have 2 pullets that still have slate legs.No eggs yet.More time needed to see if this guy's legs stay slate and to see if he has 2 copies of the barring gene.
jerryse-
love.gif
the barred look....I may need some new barred lawn ornaments because I sooooo don't need another new project.
lau.gif

@Chicken Stalker...yes...she is a self blue....I cannot break my habit of calling it Lavender!
Now...I thought the roo would be considered a Blue Wheaten....color me confused now!
lol.png

@Chicken Stalker...yes...she is a self blue....I cannot break my habit of calling it Lavender!
Now...I thought the roo would be considered a Blue Wheaten....color me confused now!
lol.png
Here are a couple of blue wheaten's (formerly mine) for comparison and one of my lavender (aka self-blue) hen's. Unless your hen is in some funky lighting, I'd say she's a a blue not a self-blue.

Yeah- ditto on that. Good examples, Chicken Stalker.

As for showing- I would not show the SW roo. His tail set is too high. Splash wheaten is still not one of the accepted colors,I am not sure if there are any plans for that at this time.

I love SW roosters though- they are all different and so beautiful.

I showed my self blue.....like I said...I must work harder in not calling the color lavender. Forgot that this past fall and the judge wrote....Self Blue? on the ticket.
tongue.png
But she still took 1st in BOV and Reserve. I am still confused on the blue wheaten...if he is splash would he not have blue leakage. Some of this is still new to me on this breed. I know I love the breed and would like to work more with them. A couple of friends here told me this forum is good about getting correct information. Thanks!

She is not self blue. "Self blue" is another name for lavender. She is BLUE. Just blue.

This is BLUE wheaten:

This is SPLASH wheaten:

It is the exact same thing as the differences between solid blue and splash birds. They are completely different looking- just like splash would be to black.

I do apologize.....as I said I am new on this breed and trying to learn....I did not intend to cause any problems...just wanted to learn. Yes..I may make mistakes that was why I came here to learn correctly.

Back
Top Bottom