Ameraucana Projects Thread

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Here is a resource for those whom are interested in breeding "outside" of the box. This is reserved for members whom have questions, concerns or just want to show off what they have done so far. Please keep the posts to what you are actually trying to create not what the fence jumper did to your beloved hens.

So I'll begin, I have been working on Lavender Wheaten Ameraucana's for which seems like forever. Here are my results. I begin my diversifying phase this winter. You can see most of my notes here. I have a couple more projects I am beginning this winter....stay tuned.

Here is a resource with tons of genetic info about already started projects...pictures too!

Last edited:
Where do you guys draw the line between "Easter eggers" & "Ameraucana projects"

Just curious
smile.png

Good question but no easy answers. Projects have a goal a new color for the breed and often a proven breeder. Easter eggers have no established colors or standard. Some projects are called Easter eggers at first to avoid arguments. Even longtime friends sometimes do not agree on projects. calling them EE until they catch on avoids some of this. Some may never have a large following. You need a color that is recognized and yes new color combos due show up and have to be named. I have thought up color combos that have no name yet and decided not to seriously pursue these. I also have a project that
has some controversy that I call EE until proven.
Take the chestnuts and snow project mentioned. Had the breeder went for a wheaten based red pyle that is a known color. Adding enhanced red and trying for the spotted breast plus giving it a new name puts it in new or unknown territory. It is not known if the color will stabilize to the spotted breast pattern. It may but only time will tell. Will it catch on ? Can the ABA and the APA be convinced to accept the colors name? These points make me say it is unlikely to make it.
The lavender color is having trouble as it is already called self blue in other breeds. That is one reason the club has not tried for recognition yet. I hope this helps.

Awesome! BTW I have millie project going...they said it was impossible but so far so good. Legs are solid slate
big_smile.png
no blotches due to the molting gene. This young hen came in my order from John Blehm last year.......an anomaly YES! Out crossing her this winter.

Last edited:
I have a Dun project going with the ameraucana.
They're actually phoenix / ameraucana / grey junglefowl blends.

This is the best rooster. At least he is the only one with beard and muffs,
and dun color and pea comb

Sorry it's so blurry but here are a few of the hens I have with him.
Most of them are from the same bloodline.

This is an extra rooster that is not carrying dun, or muffs, but I really like him.

Here is a late hatch out of my barred/cuckoo project late august hatch.Can't say for sure which cuckoo hen he is from but the cock was barred with slate legs.Early may hatch.His legs turned spotted after 5 months.I have 2 pullets that still have slate legs.No eggs yet.More time needed to see if this guy's legs stay slate and to see if he has 2 copies of the barring gene.

I am wondering if having the silver genes had anything to do with it. What do you think? Or is it just because she's a girl and single factor? She is so light in color, you'd almost think she was double barred if you saw her in person. .
Color is a factor but I havent seen any effect from silver.Most likely a random combination of genes.I seen pics of mottled on colors other than black with slate legs.My first clue that slate legs with barring was possible were pics of barred olive eggers with slate legs.It is said there is a linkage of genes that must be broken for this to happen.Keep breeding from the ones with slate legs and the right combo should stabilize.

OK< I was working on my buff Ameraucana project (buff Meredith hens x Pips & Peeps wheaten rooster) to improve egg color (they lay green) and hatched mostly solid buff pullets (All roosters had khaki markings) but one of the pullets has a khaki tail and darker pigment on her face. Well I decided to hatch eggs from this off colored pullet x my blue wheaten rooster and . . SURPRISE, I hatched out 3 CHOCOLATE chicks
ep.gif
I have no idea how that happened! Now I have the chocolate bug! I am anxious to see if they feather in solid chocolate.

Here are the 3 chocolate chicks from the buff x wheaten x blue wheaten rooster and one solid buff from chick from the buff x wheaten cross.

Do it again, and if you get more chocolates, then I want some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom