Ameraucana Breeding Conundrum. Input?

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
I would like to breed Ameraucanas (not Easter Eggers, not Americanas), but I have recently read that the offspring resulting from an Ameraucana of one color bred to an Ameraucana of a different color will not be a true Ameraucana, but instead an Easter Egger.
Why? How?
If that is the case, even though they are now Easter Eggers, both parents were Ameraucana (or were they??) so will offspring still be only blue egg layers?

Here is my conundrum...
I purchased Ameraucana hatching eggs with the intention of keeping one rooster and breeding him first to siblings and then to future offspring resulting from that, etc.
If he mates with the Ameraucanas that are different colors, I am essentially just breeding Easter Eggers.
What if, then, the seller I purchased the eggs from was breeding two differently colored Ameraucanas not knowing she's really just breeding EEs and now I've just got a bunch of EE eggs? Can my EEs breed back to purebred Ameraucanas if I continue breeding only one color to the same color?

I hope I'm making sense. This is all news to me and need some clarification.
Thank you kindly in advance.

I only know of one person actively working with ameraucana, I bet there's more. Granted, I haven't invested much time in researching the breeding practices of ameraucana, but I imagine they work just like every other breed. It's not that if you cross two different colored ameraucana you'll get Easter Eggers, it's that you'll get ameraucana that cannot be entered in a show as ameraucana, as the resulting mixed colors of your crossing would produce mixed colored birds. @NagemTX will be able to explain it way better, since I might be wrong

I only know of one person actively working with ameraucana, I bet there's more. Granted, I haven't invested much time in researching the breeding practices of ameraucana, but I imagine they work just like every other breed. It's not that if you cross two different colored ameraucana you'll get Easter Eggers, it's that you'll get ameraucana that cannot be entered in a show as ameraucana, as the resulting mixed colors of your crossing would produce mixed colored birds. @NagemTX will be able to explain it way better, since I might be wrong
THAT makes perfect sense! Thank you so much!

That would be a correct assumption. The color wouldn't be recognized but the bird itself is still an Ameraucana. I think they show as Ameraucana but in all other. That is how they work towards getting new colors recognized. There's alot more work to it than just mixing them to get new colors recognized.

Check out the Ameraucana club and Ameraucana Association for more info. 😊

Last edited:
That would be a correct assumption. The color wouldn't be recognized but the bird itself is still an Ameraucana. I think they show as Ameraucana but in all other. That is how they work towards getting new colors recognized. There's alot more work to it than just mixing them to get new colors recognized.

Check out the Ameraucana clube and Ameraucana Association for more info. 😊
Awesome. Thank you so much! Are the Ameraucana club and Ameraucana Association separate entities from BYC or are they clubs within the BYC community with their own separate discussion? Sorry for the ignorant questions, just trying to learn all I can.
Thanks again!

Also if you want different colors and to be able to keep and breed them together I would go blue or blue wheaten. You get in the case of blue: blue, black and splash. For blue wheaten you get blue wheaten, wheaten, splash wheaten.
Can Blue crossed with Wheaten (and vice versa) result in offspring that are recognized in color/pattern? Or must it be a blue wheaten x blue wheaten, black x black, etc.? Open and appreicative to any and all information on this topic!

Can Blue crossed with Wheaten (and vice versa) result in offspring that are recognized in color/pattern? Or must it be a blue wheaten x blue wheaten, black x black, etc.? Open and appreicative to any and all information on this topic!
No you would need to stay with in wheaten and blue wheaten. If you cross a straight blue in you can mess up the wheaten.

Awesome. Thank you so much! Are the Ameraucana club and Ameraucana Association separate entities from BYC or are they clubs within the BYC community with their own separate discussion? Sorry for the ignorant questions, just trying to learn all I can.
Thanks again!
They are separate from BYC. They are part of the association that sets standards for all poltry in the USA. APA is that association.

Back
Top Bottom