Ameraucana Breeding Conundrum. Input?

Ameraucana lay blue eggs, however most EEs they produce will not. Most likely that bird was an EE sold as Americana or something like that. Could you link that thread?

Thanks,
I ordered 5 blue Eggers from Cackle Hatchery.

Was reading earlier on a different thread, some one said their Ameraucana laid brown eggs.
They should not be laying brown. There is a guide card from the clubs for the different shades of blue.

On new colors being developed, if it has a cross in from another breed you could get green. If it's early in the project you could get brown but if it's finished it should only be blue.

I only know of one person actively working with ameraucana, I bet there's more. Granted, I haven't invested much time in researching the breeding practices of ameraucana, but I imagine they work just like every other breed. It's not that if you cross two different colored ameraucana you'll get Easter Eggers, it's that you'll get ameraucana that cannot be entered in a show as ameraucana, as the resulting mixed colors of your crossing would produce mixed colored birds. @NagemTX will be able to explain it way better, since I might be wrong
Some people consider them EEs because they don't fit the standard.

Thanks,
I ordered 5 blue Eggers from Cackle Hatchery.

Was reading earlier on a different thread, some one said their Ameraucana laid brown eggs.
Ameraucana lay blue eggs, however most EEs they produce will not. Most likely that bird was an EE sold as Americana or something like that. Could you link that thread?
They spell the name correctly, but they are definitely Easter eggers. One of the main photos is of the super common female EE coloring

There have been alot of EEs that have been sold as Ameraucana resently. Mostly of the blue and lavender varieties. I also think people buying don't read all the info on add. I had a guy come buy 3 EE pullets from me and asked if they where Ameraucana.

My add stated the crosses that made the EE and as my roosters are Ameraucana it was in the add. All they got from that add was Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom