Ameraucana Breeding Conundrum. Input?

Ameraucana alliance website has a lot of information and explanation on this topic both in the forum and achieved newsletters and books. That is one of the great things that drew me to Ameraucana the original developers of the breed are still around and very active in preservation of the standard. A lot of the not mixing varieties has to do with the genetics used to develop said varieties and once you start crossing them you quickly move away from the standard and once that happens it’s hard to get the genetic to align again especially if you don’t know what you’re doing with genetics.

Ameraucana alliance website has a lot of information and explanation on this topic both in the forum and achieved newsletters and books. That is one of the great things that drew me to Ameraucana the original developers of the breed are still around and very active in preservation of the standard. A lot of the not mixing varieties has to do with the genetics used to develop said varieties and once you start crossing them you quickly move away from the standard and once that happens it’s hard to get the genetic to align again especially if you don’t know what you’re doing with genetics.
Some of the interesting breeds used to produce today's Ameraucana are Australorp, American Orpington, and Sumatra.

They spell the name correctly, but they are definitely Easter eggers. One of the main photos is of the super common female EE coloring
Are you looking at the "Blue Egg Layers" or the "Ameraucanas", Jacin? Blue Egg Layers are different than the Ameraucanas. Many of Cackle Hatchery's Ameraucanas are supposedly from Blehm's birds. The Lavender, White, and Black are breed standards and are show colors, and pretty much all the colors can be shown now, except the "Splash" from Cackle. I'd hate for anyone to be wrong about chicks that are purchased for upwards of $20 each. If they are charging for Easter Eggers, then that sure isn't right!! I was looking to order some blue Ameraucanas from them, but if the main colors are nothing more than EEs, then I sure would like to know!

Are you looking at the "Blue Egg Layers" or the "Ameraucanas", Jacin? Blue Egg Layers are different than the Ameraucanas. Many of Cackle Hatchery's Ameraucanas are supposedly from Blehm's birds. The Lavender, White, and Black are breed standards and are show colors, and pretty much all the colors can be shown now, except the "Splash" from Cackle. I'd hate for anyone to be wrong about chicks that are purchased for upwards of $20 each. If they are charging for Easter Eggers, then that sure isn't right!! I was looking to order some blue Ameraucanas from them, but if the main colors are nothing more than EEs, then I sure would like to know!
I was looking at their 'Ameraucana'

Cackles blue egger deal is for any of their breeds that can lay a blue egg. This can be Ameraucana, Easter Egger, and Cream Legbars.

Last edited:
Can somebody please tell me, what are the approved colors for true Ameraucanas? I have only seen posts that say something like, "your bird is not an approved color, therefore it is an EE." Not knowing what the proper colors are, I would be afraid to purchase ... because I wouldn't know what's a true Am and what isn't.

Can somebody please tell me, what are the approved colors for true Ameraucanas? I have only seen posts that say something like, "your bird is not an approved color, therefore it is an EE." Not knowing what the proper colors are, I would be afraid to purchase ... because I wouldn't know what's a true Am and what isn't.
Blue, Black, Splash, Self Blue, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, and White. Look for people that are a part of the Ameraucana Alliance and ask for pictures of their breeding stock. I wish you the best of luck with finding some good quality birds. :)

Last edited:
Best examples are from the club web sites. Also the best reliable source for information on the breed will be there as well. They are Ameraucana Alliance and Ameraucana Breeders club. They both have listing of breeders that are apart of the clubs.

Back
Top Bottom