Ameraucana Projects Thread

One of the silver autosexing pullets, the others wouldnt stand still

My thinking is that a white head spot will be visible on a yellow chick. . I really like sex link and auto sexing. Such useful traits.

sorry No Autosexing nor Sexlinks on yellow Wheaten Buff chicks... Autosexing using wheaten and sex linked barring is not possible, just look at the Delawares, euskal oiloa... or dont go too far to look for this, the Lemon cuckoo Orps, just look at their chicks, thats all you need to see to find out they are not Autosexing..

can you produce Autosexing Lemon Cuckoo Ameraucana? Yes, its been one of my many goals, how would I go about it? by introducing the wildtype e+ e allele need it for autosexing(think legbars, Hambars, welbars, Rhodebars) introducing the e+ allele to the Buff Ameraucana..

the easiest path would be outsourcing a Legbar rooster and mate him to a Buff Ameraucana Hen..

the first cross will produce e+/eWh chicks that will be visible different from pure eWh chicks, they will look alot like wildytpe(at least most of them) use this chicks and cross them back to Buff Ameraucana hen, this will produce 50% eWh/eWh chicks and e+/eWh chicks, keep those e+/eWh chicks(the barred ones) then you can do sibling crossing to produce e+/e+ B/- Lemon Cuckoo pullets and e+/e+ B/B Lemon cuckoo Males that are autosexing, actually you will be able to sex them at hatch...

Here is a pic of my blue silver project cockerel. I used blue wheaten x silver then back to silver. Picked up red in the process. He is small for LF. Guess I will cross back to silver.

I do have a blue Easter egger hen as I mentioned and I expected the blue chicks from her. I just didn't realize that every single other chick would be black. I hatched chicks from a white EE, a brabanter/spitz/easter egger hen, a welsummer. If I want some of the mother's colors to show through, what color of Am do I need for a Roo?

Black or blue are out . Wheaten will give let some of the hen markings through but they are going to look kind of wheaten . White can be hiding about anything but likely black under the white . Buff will result in a mostly buff or wheaten look . So really for the colors you want a EE rooster is your best choice .

How's everyone's projects going?

Candling next week to check development. I am crossing a barred cockerel to a pure black Ameraucana pullet. He is single gene of barring so only half of the resulting chicks will(theoretically) be barred. Hoping my pullet is homozygous for bearded gene we will see. The cockerel I lost last winter I think was but either the snow or a predator got him before I could breed him. He was a good dude too...

Disclaimer first.... I have paint silkies

What is the draw of paint birds? They don't breed true, probably worse than blues..... I seldom get paint chicks from a paint roo x black. That is the best way to breed them. I don't find them pretty in smooth feathers. I get PAINT birds all the time from my SBEL crosses (WL x Lavender Am). Personally I prefer mottled over paint in smooth feathered birds.

I could make them easy enough but never really wanted to breed them.... should I?

I'm not sure why, but splash, mottled, and paint are all different forms of that black/white look and all appealing. Even just a little black on a white bird :idunno Now if you could make pinto.

My SBELs turned out to be blue paints :D My Leghorn must have carried a double copy of blue dilution.
I love paints. I like light colored birds, but think just white is too plain. So, paints and splashes are best of both worlds!

Ok thats nice to hear that it would be accepted as the genetics does cause legs to be that color, and yes to polish i know was accepted too, and the blue orpingtons has also slate blue legs too so yes why not its posible special traid of barrer ameraucanas....

But what if it is possible to get it to have slate color legs!! That would be nice right??

We are working toward that goal . I have emailed with a genetics guy who say the genetic linkage can break allowing it . However the numbers are like winning the lottery .

Until then we get a dark wash of color on the outer layer of skin added to the slate on single barred hens . The legs do fade during the laying cycle . I have been showing these . The real challenge is double barred males . I can get good leg color on single barred males . The back of the leg is white but that is what the genes allow . Lavender helps darken the legs some . The splotchy legs are actually light slate with dark spots even though they appear white on a live bird . I have checked the layers of skin when butchering .

Single barred lavender cuckoo males are hard to detect and I have been showing these . I may show some single barred cuckoo males . They have a solid black feather somewhere that gives them away . That is as close to slate legs as we can get now .

So until we get a genetic break or accept the reality of the genetics this is what we have . The controversy has stopped any effort of mine at making a auto sexing crele Ameraucana . So I am having fun making a auto sexing EE without any concerns of a breed standard .

There is so much great information here. I haven't read it all. Could someone summarize what happened with the Ambar attempts? I have a Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel and a Crested Cream Legbar pullet. I also have other birds, but wondered how this specific cross would turn out.

That cross will give you single barred males . Since wheaten hatch yellow you may not see the white head spot at hatch . First generation females will mature into a color in between light brown and wheaten no barring on these .

Back
Top Bottom