Ameraucana Projects Thread

There is so much great information here. I haven't read it all. Could someone summarize what happened with the Ambar attempts? I have a Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel and a Crested Cream Legbar pullet. I also have other birds, but wondered how this specific cross would turn out.

That cross will give you single barred males . Since wheaten hatch yellow you may not see the white head spot at hatch . First generation females will mature into a color in between light brown and wheaten no barring on these .

That cross will give you single barred males . Since wheaten hatch yellow you may not see the white head spot at hatch . First generation females will mature into a color in between light brown and wheaten no barring on these .

Thank you!
How does the crest and beard transfer? Muff beard should be expressed if the gene is present, right? And I haven't researched the crest genetics yet. Is it one of those fatal genes?
Forgive my naivety and thank you in advance.

Thank you!
How does the crest and beard transfer? Muff beard should be expressed if the gene is present, right? And I haven't researched the crest genetics yet. Is it one of those fatal genes?
Forgive my naivety and thank you in advance.

If the gene is present it is expressed . Crests are not fatal . Incomplete dominant for crest . May be very small with one copy .

My Barred Ameraucana project birds are getting close to POL. They are about 20 weeks old at the moment. Unfortunately I lost the 'mother' who was my only pure bred black Ameraucana (from BBS line). We will see what kind of production they will have. The Ameraucana hen I had laid 7 days/week when she wasn't brooding, which I really didn't expect but she also was very young and the eggs were only medium in size. Hoping the smaller eggs hatched wont result in smaller adults thus smaller eggs in the second generation but we will see.

My Barred Ameraucana project birds are getting close to POL. They are about 20 weeks old at the moment. Unfortunately I lost the 'mother' who was my only pure bred black Ameraucana (from BBS line). We will see what kind of production they will have. The Ameraucana hen I had laid 7 days/week when she wasn't brooding, which I really didn't expect but she also was very young and the eggs were only medium in size. Hoping the smaller eggs hatched wont result in smaller adults thus smaller eggs in the second generation but we will see.
My Ameraucana/Easter Eggers all started at around 24 to 26 weeks. Actually most all my chicken/ pullets start around the same time ( age). The ones that carry Jersey Giant blood usually start at about 7 1/2 to 8 months old.

Last edited:
My Ameraucana/Easter Eggers all started at around 24 to 26 weeks.
Actually most all my chicken/ pullets start around the same time ( age). The ones that carry Jersey Giant blood usually start at about 7 1/2 to 8 months old.
My pure bred BBS Ameraucana was the same way in terms of timing. The other birds I have mixed into the genetic pot that produced these birds started between 18 and 24 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom