Ameraucana Projects Thread

I have had cuckoo birds start out with pale slate legs, but they fade as they mature. Still- the fact that they are able to show some color for any period of time is encouraging.

I agree though- excluding otherwise beautiful varieties because of one genetic "glitch" doesn't seem fair.
I still have a genetic way out of that Glitch.... slate shankis on Barred birds...
cool.png

I still have a genetic way out of that Glitch.... slate shankis on Barred birds...
cool.png
OMG, the what are you waiting for!! Share it immediately, we've been trying to figure out a way and I would love to get your recommendations. I know you are a genetics wiz, so please, make it as simple as possible for us non science people to undertand

Thanks, Harry! Will do if i can keep hold of them all. Something has been picking off my birds during the day for the past 2 weeks. They are going to be mad, but they'll have to stay in for a while. Dammit.

OMG, the what are you waiting for!! Share it immediately, we've been trying to figure out a way and I would love to get your recommendations. I know you are a genetics wiz, so please, make it as simple as possible for us non science people to undertand
Ok.. here it goes..

what makes Barring such a difficult gene to work with slate/black shanks and black skin(for silkies) is a huge genetic hurdle, why? because Barring and Id are tightly linked(same sex chromosome) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3165529 this means that when a Barred bird is bred to any other breed that Id gene(dermal inhibitor, inhibit dermal melanin including shank, and skin color on silkies) hitchs a ride with the barring gene, this makes slate shanks near imposible to be obtain.

there is only one way to fix this for good and 2 ways to get around this

the only way to fix this for good is to hatch about 300 chicks and expect a few of them to be what we call recombinants, this recombinants Barring is now attatched to a wildtype id+ gene(recessive to Id) id+ allows for dark shanks and skin(on silkies) I have seen a few black skin barred silkies, this means there are already afew recombinants out there, if you have the chance to see any of them(need to make shure they have black skin) just grab one of them for your project(I dought it as they are like gold to silkie breeder, but you can make a loan for a rooster )

other way around is use lavender, lavender seems to inhibit dermal inhibitor, I have a friend that says that only one copy is enought to make her silkies to have slate shanks,but I dont know if this will work on ameraucanas.. I would love to a confirmation on this info from the Lavender cuckoo Ameraucana progect breeder...

The other way around this is what I´m trying to do myself but I dont have the genetic diversity that you guys have in the USA or Europe..

Heterozygous(one copy) of recessive white will inhibit Id to an extent like lavender bu not as much, but with the help of heterozygous Fibromelanotic(black skin) one can have slate shanks on a Red barred bird...

yeah lots of breeding but all good things take that much paint to obtain

I have a Dun project going with the ameraucana.
They're actually phoenix / ameraucana / grey junglefowl blends.

This is the best rooster. At least he is the only one with beard and muffs,
and dun color and pea comb

Sorry it's so blurry but here are a few of the hens I have with him.
Most of them are from the same bloodline.

This is an extra rooster that is not carrying dun, or muffs, but I really like him.

Back
Top Bottom