Ameraucana roo advice

AMaxlow

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2023
I'm considering purchasing this roo. The seller says he's an Ameraucana, 1 yr old. What do you all think of him? Does he look purebred? I'm specifically looking for a splash to add some color to my flock. Is that too much leakage on his wing? Any other thoughts or advice?
Thanks!
1000001849.jpg

What are your breeding goals? He may or may not be mixed breed, but at the very least he is mixed colors. If you're breeding for show or to have a specific variety he's not going to have anything to add to your breeding program. If you have other goals in mind he may or may not be a useful addition.

He's more than likely an Easter Egger--which technically is any mixed breed that lays a colored egg. However, many feed stores and some hatcheries incorrectly sell these bearded varieties as "Ameraucanas." Red coloring in the shoulders is a common occurrence in EE cockerels as well.

Looks like an Easter Egger to me.. (sold as "amerIcana" at most feed stores). At the very least not complying fully to the standard of perfection for true Ameraucana. (or not show/breeding quality if THAT was your goal).

But yes I would say he's splash.. those darker feathers appear blue based not black based (hence all the grey).

If your looking to add feather color.. the red shoulders are a bonus, imo!

No guarantees on what egg color genes are being brought to the party.. or actual productivity level.

What are your breeding goals? He may or may not be mixed breed, but at the very least he is mixed colors. If you're breeding for show or to have a specific variety he's not going to have anything to add to your breeding program. If you have other goals in mind he may or may not be a useful addition.
Good question. My goal is to get blues. I have EEs and OEs, and if I understand correctly, putting a splash roo with them would create blue. Not interested in showing, but I may get more Ameraucanas in the future, so I would like to have a purebred roo to start.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_134048966_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230730_134048966_HDR.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 3
He's more than likely an Easter Egger--which technically is any mixed breed that lays a colored egg. However, many feed stores and some hatcheries incorrectly sell these bearded varieties as "Ameraucanas." Red coloring in the shoulders is a common occurrence in EE cockerels as well.
Understood. I didn't know the red coloring on the shoulder is common in EEs. Good to know. Thanks!

Looks like an Easter Egger to me.. (sold as "amerIcana" at most feed stores). At the very least not complying fully to the standard of perfection for true Ameraucana. (or not show/breeding quality if THAT was your goal).

But yes I would say he's splash.. those darker feathers appear blue based not black based (hence all the grey).

If your looking to add feather color.. the red shoulders are a bonus, imo!

No guarantees on what egg color genes are being brought to the party.. or actual productivity level.
I am looking for breeding quality, especially if I decide to add more Ameraucanas in the future. While I'm sure he could add some nice feather color, I would also like to improve egg colors. Since he's possibly mixed, I can't be sure he would be of much benefit.
Thank you for helping me think through this decision!

Back
Top Bottom